Dead Battery?

7 replies to this topic
  • Motofox25

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:43 PM

So a few weeks ago I went riding and when I got home I put my 06' WR 450 away and forgot to turn it off. Next time out the battery was dead and I wasnt even close to get it started. I decided to jump start the bike by connecting it to the car and it turned on right away. :mad: I then hear that it is not a good idea to have connect it to the car because of the high amps a car battery has. A week later, battery is dead again so I buy a charger this time to charge. After fully charging the battery and trying to start my bike again nothing happens. :mad: Does anyone think I could have damaged the battery or electrical system by having had connect it to a car battery??

• RichBaker

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Nope, it was damaged by being flat(discharged) for too long....that's the quickest way to kill any battery.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 01, 2006 - 05:25 PM

Battery Tender Plus:

A must for all of our small battery off road e- start bikes:

Posted Image

• MN_Paul

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:46 PM

As long as the car is not running, there is no problem using it to jump a bike or any other 12v system. Both have the same voltage, the amount of power used is determined by the load (the starter). A car battery will just crank a lot longer. Better to kill your battery than overheat the starter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted November 03, 2006 - 03:17 PM

get yourself a battery tender, or the battery tender jr. after riding, you just plug it in. it charges the battery and turns itself off when the battery is done. it comes with a pig tail that you can attach to the battery, and hide under the plastic.

• foxomatica

Posted November 03, 2006 - 08:24 PM

A week later, battery is dead again

Was this because you forgot to turn the switch off again. I ask because I have done that a few times. Is it just me that thinks this ignition switch is unnessasary. None of my friends bikes have switches. Does anyone know if it can be bypassed? Yes, I am absent minded.

I have killed the battery a few times but after I charge it up it is runs great.

• marty b

Posted November 04, 2006 - 04:47 PM

perhaps when the voltage droped on the start system the amprage went up
this would have blown a fuse under the seat

• Tsk350

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:50 AM

Where is a good place to pick up a battery cheap? Dealer wants my first born in exchange! On some days I think I would be getting the better deal!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.