5-Speed OR 4-Speed For A 2001 YZ426

42 replies to this topic
  • richridin426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Ok Everybody I Will Keep Up The Search For The Definite Answer To My Transmission Question. Within The Next Week I Will Check The Shift Cam Sensor And See If I Can Look Into The Linkage Without Tearing The Bike Down Too Much.

I Will Post What I Have Found As Soon As I Look Into It.

• LowMech

Posted January 08, 2007 - 01:15 PM

I´ve been following this thread, and i hope that you will find the answer.
Can be fun to know if it´s a "special" bike you have.

//
Stefan from sweden

• richridin426

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:07 PM

OK PEOPLE FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE CURIOUS TO SEE PICS OF MY MOTOR HERE YOU TO. I HOPE THESE MAY HELP ANSWER MY QUESTION OR POSSIBLE SHED SOME LIGHT ON IT ATLEASE. I WILL STILL PULL THE SHIFT CAM SENSOR AND SEE WHAT'S GOING ON THERE SO I WILL POST MY FINDINGS WHEN I GET TO IT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:21 PM

man thats a really big tank you got there, looks like it hides the motor lol. it probably warms up the gas which would restrain maximum fuel efficency to my thoughts atleast :ride: , nice CF frame guards btw:thumbsup:

• yz_for_me

Posted January 24, 2007 - 05:51 PM

That is definately a 426 you have there and judging by the header pipe and the blue subframe, it is an '01. As far as your transmission is concerned, I'd say the likelyhood that you have a "special" 4 speed 426 is extremely small. In all probablilty you have a problem with your tranny. I would bite the bullet and either tear it down or take it to your dealer to have it checked out.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:03 PM

It's a 426, and it's a 5 speed. Even tells you that on the sprocket cover.

• skipperlantz

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:49 PM

My 2000 was a five speed.

• richlee61

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:56 PM

I own a '01 426...it's a 5speed, or ya gotz BIG problems!!!

• richridin426

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:12 AM

To Be Honest I Am Alomst 80% Sure I Have A Fully Working Tranny, Complete With 4 Gear And Neutral. What I Am Not Sure Of Is How I Have A 4-speed And Others Have A 5. It Would Awesome To Find Out That I Have A "special" Bike, Or Simply The Fact That This Is Not The Stock Tranny. Either Way I Don't Mind Or Care, I'm Just Curious As To Why I Have What I Have.

Yeah The Bigger Tank Does Wrap Around The Enginee Some, I've Never Checked To See How Warm The Tank Gets When I Ride, I Should Make A Note To Look At That. The Previous Owner Before Me Installed It On The Bike For When He Does Fire Road Riding. I Like The Bigger Tank Acutally Even Though It As Some Extra Weight To The Bike.

• kevin204

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Look at the sprocket cover. 1 down, 4 up. 5 speed. Your transmission is broken if it only shifts to 4th.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • richridin426

Posted January 25, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Yes Your Are Correct In Your Observation And I Have Noticed That From The Beginning Of This Thread. What I Am Asking In My Original Question Was Is It Possible That Yamaha Made The 426 With A 4-speed Or Possibly Is There A 4-speed That Bolts Up To Stock Motor. Again I Will Check The Shift Cam Sensor To See What That Shows. If It Indeed Shows 5 Contacs Then I Do Have A 4 Speed If It Shows 6 Then I Have A 5 Speed And A Broken Transmission.

So I Will Keep You Posted.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:03 PM

Again I Will Check The Shift Cam Sensor To See What That Shows. If It Indeed Shows 5 Contacs Then I Do Have A 4 Speed If It Shows 6 Then I Have A 5 Speed And A Broken Transmission.

So I Will Keep You Posted.

Sorry, the shift cam segment is identical for the 4 speed and the 5 speed, so that will tell you nothing. In fact, the entire shift mechanism is the same between the 5 speed 426 and the 4 speed 450 The difference is in the trans shafts, gears and shift cams and forks. You are going to need to look inside the trans for your answer, as I have already said.

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 25, 2007 - 06:18 PM

well how fast is it? does it feel too slow for a 426 or anything? if its like really fsat with four gears then i would say its a 4 speed. if you can, get some one to clock you on a back road or sumtin in a car (not suggested if you can messure your speed in a different way). im not sure what the exact speed is of a 426 stock but i heard it was around 88mph stock, do not quote me on that :ride:, you could also have different spockets on their which would affect your speed greatly depending on the teeth-sprocket. just my thoughts. i just checked out the 426 in full that im going to pick up next week and it was nice. super good cond. and it sounded nasty. im not going to thread-jack this thread so i'll make one. :ride:

• yamarider628

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hey forgive me if im mistaken but the 02 was a 3 spd tranny. I was always told it was the best mxer ever. I had the 01 though so let me know

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hey forgive me if im mistaken but the 02 was a 3 spd tranny. I was always told it was the best mxer ever. I had the 01 though so let me know

Tim Ferry's factory ride was a 3 speed in '04.

You are mistaken. ALL production 426 Yamahas were 5 speeds.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 26, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Tim Ferry's factory ride was a 3 speed in '04.

You are mistaken. ALL production 426 Yamahas were 5 speeds.

silly little ferry:D

• ZéPovinho

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:11 PM

its possible to make a 4 gear out of a 5 gear 426. just by "sealing" the shift cam to prevent shifting into 5th whould do the trick, but then again...
by the way, what´s the gearing you´re using? does your top speed maches a std 426? isn´t your 4th running too much on very high revs, or a slow top speed? or if you use an heavier gearing don`t the gears develop slower?

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Grey is right all the 426's are 5 speed!!!!!!!

• witdogg

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Just put it up for sale at your local track. You can tell people that you built a custom 4-speed track bike out of a 426. Maybe you will get some sucker to buy it.:ride:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Given all the feedback that everyone says its a five speed and the fact that all (i think) 01 426fs had 5th gear transmission problems you are crazy to belive yours is a 4-speed. Tear it down buddy you got problems.

My freinds 01 426f is currenty tore down becasue of the 5th gear problems. Yes its a 5-speed.

If you dont want to tear it down answer these questions. What the gearing front and rear? Whats the top speed? My freinds ran 81mph before he lost 5th gear, not sure if it was geared stock.

Sorry not trying to come across as a a-hole just my thoughts.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.