Best Chest Protectors for shoulders?

15 replies to this topic
  • rich1167

Posted November 01, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I know this not a WR make/model question. I have also posted this in the general forum but thought I might get a faster and better response out of my WR brethren. I was in Moab on 10/28 and broke my Right collar bone. I was not wearing a chest protector. Now that I have 6 weeks off the bike to shop. What do you all think is the best chest protector out their for shoulder protection?

Thanks, Rich.

• Chasejj

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:11 AM

I know this not a WR make/model question. I have also posted this in the general forum but thought I might get a faster and better response out of my WR brethren. I was in Moab on 10/28 and broke my Right collar bone. I was not wearing a chest protector. Now that I have 6 weeks off the bike to shop. What do you all think is the best chest protector out their for shoulder protection?

Thanks, Rich.

Honestly, A broken collarbone is an easy thing to get in a crash and depends alot on how you brace yourself for the hit more than any protector you may have on. It only takes a small amount of pressure to snap a collarbone.
The time I broke mine was when I went over the bars in a bicycle race and braced with my arms and it snapped in 2 places. nasty.
The most important thing is to tuck the arms in and roll if you can.
The one that fits would be the best. Fox makes nice ones that even have an XL size to fit us giants.
Otherwise mfgs of these things are very quick to point out they are rock protectors(not chest protectors.)

• bmoore345

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:13 AM

I have the FOX Airframe and it works good for shoulders I hit the ground twice last weekend and landed on my right shoulder both times. I felt fine after both crashes and the next morning. Hope this helps.

• rich1167

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I went over the bars and landed on my Right shoulder in the sand. May have hit a small rock. Really no time to think in the air. I am looking at the Fox air frame. Thanks for any and all sugestions.

• kirkw

Posted November 01, 2006 - 11:36 AM

I have used just about every full chest protector out there. I have been using a EVS ballistic jacket for about 2 years. I will not go back to a traditional chest protector, as I feel like the EVS does that much better of a job protecting me. I think the primary reason for this is due to the fact that it moves around on your body less when you have the misfortune of using it since it is worn more like a jacket or shirt under your jersey. Many will compalin that it is hotter (most have probably not used them), but I can honestly say that after many rides in 100 temperatures I cannot tell any real difference. Because of the increased protection part, which is based on my personal experice, I would still choose it even if ti was toastier.

• pjriss

Posted November 01, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I think most chest protectors offer pretty minimal crash protection but they're definately worth wearing. I use a Moose because it's the biggest XL size I've found. I do mostly trail riding and it's great for riding thru branches and bushes but after 3 broken ribs I realize that knowing my limits is the best way to stay out of the hospital :mad:

• GCannon

Posted November 01, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Not to Hijack the thread but!
I am very interested in those ballistic jackets there are several manufactures to choose from too many to list. After wearing a standard chest protector for many years (and crashes) I can't help but think there must be something better (I am not getting any younger) I am curious about their comfort both temperture and fit/chaffing. I also wonder about their level of protection. The two friends that have them swear by them. theirs are old models some of the new models seem to have even more protection like spine protectors ( maybe too much armor) My questions are what are the pros and cons? How do you wear them (what do you wear them with?) in hot and cold weather. What are the best brands (why?) from those who have tried them.
One more thing I am struggleing to find good elbow pads so this may solve all of my problems.:mad:

• rich1167

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I like the looks of this one: http://www.rockymoun...37&navType=type
But I am afraid that it would be hot in the Summer and I would have tendences to not wear it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johunter666

Posted November 01, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I use the evs ballistic jersey also. Even this,in my opinion didn't give enough shoulder protection. I modified mine by sewing a knee pad/cup into the shoulder area to give more protection.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted November 01, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Im a really big guy 6'9" 260Lbs and wear an HRP I like it because I dont notice it on.

The broken coller bone is a whole nother story. I have broken mine and my son has broken both of his. Most of the broken coller bones I have seen are broken by the helmet as the shoulder is compressed into it.
Like has been said it only takes a few PSI to snap the old clavicle.

Flak jacks and chest protectors have minimal protection for this type of injury

Heal well,
Eric

• MN_Paul

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I also use an evs ballistic jersey that has builtin back, shoulder, elbow and chest protection. I like that it goes on like a jacket and provides a built in kidney belt. I really like that it holds all the protective parts in place comfortably. I have some friends that have bought mountain biking gear that is similar and is better ventilated.

Paul

• GlobalWarmer

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:59 PM

So far my understanding of collar bone breaks is that they are caused by sticking your arm out an not rolling. If that's true I don't see how any kind of padding is going to help. It seems to me that aside from some outer protection like plastic for soft tissue damage the best defense is rolling and muscle build up to be able to absorb the impact. Hopefully that applies to shoulder diggers too.

• kirkw

Posted November 03, 2006 - 03:12 PM

Gcannon,

As usual I did way too much research and trying before i bought. I am VERY happy with it and would never go back. The one pice of advice I would give to anyone looking atthe body armor jackets is related to the models that have what looks like very substantial back protection. While this is good, some can limit your range of motion or be uncomfortable when in the seated position on the bike. Just keep that in mind when you are tyring them on. I also found that the protection reality looks a lot different when they are actually on your body vs. hanging on the rack. Mine is the BJ-22, which has the incorporated waist belt. Its ventilation has actually been better than expected. Nothing will prevent evertying, but as I said before I am very happy with the performance and protection, which has been real world tested several times:thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted November 03, 2006 - 03:21 PM

KirkW How is the hot weather performance? Do you just wear a Tshirt under it? are there any vents? It looks great for cold weather just pile on jackets and sweaters. is there any fit adjustment? Do the elbow pads stay in place? (no elbow pad I have tried stays in place)

• 04WR450F

Posted November 03, 2006 - 09:52 PM

http://www.sixsixone...8a-1b570ed58654

This is what I use. At my age, (40) I need all the protection I can get. I wear a shirt under it and a jersey over it. I get pretty hot when it's really warm out. What's nice is, you can zip out the spinal protection or leave it on. It has a built in kidney belt as well.

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 05, 2006 - 08:30 PM

this thread really interests me. I never used a chest protector until about june when I bought my son his first bike (leading by example). however, here in vegas it is HOT! I use a shift protector now, and it is almost unbearable in the summer. I like the way the "suits" look, but they appear to be ovens. I am trying to find a balance between comfort, protection, and affordability. I dont know what to do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.