YZ450 what year

1 reply to this topic
  • GONE1445

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:18 AM

I am looking for my next bike as I save $$$$$$$ I am on a 2001 yz426 right now

and if I decide to get a 450 what year are good ones or is there a major difference between the 03-05 450's

by the time I have enough $$ I might be able to get a 2006 but if not then what year is good

and is the 4 speed a problem for trail riding??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2006 - 08:38 AM

The '03 was the most aggressive engine, and IMO needs 8oz of flywheel to make it usable. They also had some clutch chatter/grab issues that are pretty simply resolved.

The '04 may be the best of the 3 early YZ4540's. The engine was still a handful, but a little smoother. The crank was revised with a stronger big end, the forks were upgraded from 46 to 48mm, and work much better. The bike had Titanium pegs, too.

The '05 had the first twin chamber fork on any YZ, the same AOSS fork that the KX450F had in '06. The fork was a big improvement, and with a little work, is pretty darn good. The ignition map was changed to make the engine more manageable, and most people think they over did it. A Vortex will take care of that. The primary drive gearing was changed to a higher ratio, which means that the final gearing is going to be different than the other two.

As to the question of the 4 speed, the 450 first gear is very slightly lower than that of the 426, while 4th falls between the 426's 4th and 5th. So, my solution is to gear the bike to where the overall ratio in low is about the same, and it works OK.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.