Adding Kick Start To 650l

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:10 AM

:mad:
I have searched the posts and found people saying how it would be nice to have, but no one saying if it is possible! Is it? How would you do such a thing? Costs?

• philipstjohn

Posted November 01, 2006 - 04:55 AM

:mad:
I have searched the posts and found people saying how it would be nice to have, but no one saying if it is possible! Is it? How would you do such a thing? Costs?

There are alot of modifications you can do to a bike, but when you decide to do any modifications look for performance gains first. There would be no performance gain in doing this mod, (minus any weight loss if you deleted the e-button set up completely) and the function side would be a negative as well since the "easy button" is alot easier to use the kickin it over. Food for thought...:mad: :mad:

• cbaranski

Posted November 01, 2006 - 05:47 AM

I own a 96 XR600R, when your bike is tuned right it'll be a great relief when you need to kick her over, but when your battery dies and you have no way of starting your bike. Well in my book that really sucks, espacially if you have no hill or your on a rocky trail. If i owned a XR650L, I'd deffenitlly look into it. Couldn't be that hard, an idler gear and a kick start shaft from a later model xR.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 01, 2006 - 08:43 AM

To add the kicker, you need to split the cases and use a XR600R countershaft, the kicker bits themselves, and either machine out the hole in the XRL clutch cover, or just use a 600R clutch cover.

I'd do this if I had to split the cases anyway, and while I was at it I'd put in the whole 600R tranny and get rid of the big 1-2 gap.

There are 2 different 600R countershafts- a 6 spline from the older ones (don't use this one), and the newer one with the same number of splines as the XRL.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted November 01, 2006 - 02:02 PM

I own a 96 XR600R, when your bike is tuned right it'll be a great relief when you need to kick her over, but when your battery dies and you have no way of starting your bike.

Unfortunately, the 650L uses the battery as the ignition power source. It is not a magneto type ignition like most every other dirt bike. If there is no battery voltage, there is no spark kick starter or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Unfortunately, the 650L uses the battery as the ignition power source. It is not a magneto type ignition like most every other dirt bike. If there is no battery voltage, there is no spark kick starter or not.

I've heard otherwise (or maybe that was hopeful thinking).

I know that since the XRL flywheel has permanent magnets, it will create juice with no battery, but is it insufficient to get the ignition to fire without the battery?

Perhaps a 600R CDI would work (wired correctly, of course)

Dave

• cleonard

Posted November 02, 2006 - 11:27 AM

I've heard otherwise (or maybe that was hopeful thinking).

I know that since the XRL flywheel has permanent magnets, it will create juice with no battery, but is it insufficient to get the ignition to fire without the battery?

Perhaps a 600R CDI would work (wired correctly, of course)

Dave

I think that it might make enough juice to run the ignition, but there are two things that might need to be turned off. First is the headlight. That's a big load. It might need to be disconnected. Second is the battery. A failed battery that is open would not be a load, but a discharged one is as big of a load as the headlight.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 03, 2006 - 09:02 AM

I think that it might make enough juice to run the ignition, but there are two things that might need to be turned off. First is the headlight. That's a big load. It might need to be disconnected. Second is the battery. A failed battery that is open would not be a load, but a discharged one is as big of a load as the headlight.

headlight is easy- its disconnected when you push in the starter button.

D

• Mudshark

Posted November 03, 2006 - 09:53 AM

If I had to choose between the two, I'd always go for the kick start.
I don't see how you can run out into the desert without one.... it's like
insurance. I sold my DR because it didnt have one and now I ride a R.
Having both would be great :mad:

• bluerock5

Posted November 03, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I left my ignition on a few times and ended up with a really dead battery. A small grade to get it rolling, put it into "2nd" gear and she fires right up. And this is after several hours had passed and the engine was dead cold,................The 650L - A Thing of Beauty:thumbsup: .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.