YZ426 Jetting and running problems

4 replies to this topic
  • Vintage Not Pimpage

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:39 AM

A mate of mine has a 01 YZ426 he wants me to get running properly for him.
Its hard to start, it bogs down REALLY bad if the engine is lugged AT ALL, and is just generally very flat, little top end and it just feels slow. The engine is in A1 conditon, has just had new rings installed and is in excellent condition. It has a white bros E-series muffler on it and what I think is the stock header.
We ride at sea level, the bike is stock except for the muffler.
I assume that its running lean?
its only marginally faster than an XR400 the way it is so something is deffinalty up, its run this way the whole time he has owned it so it is nothing he has done.
Could someone please give me some jetting specs to try out on it?
Any help appreciated :mad:

• jbrooks26

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:46 AM

You say lean, but it really sounds rich to me. Probably all across the board. In order to help much you may want to get all of the current jetting settings and post them. At a minimum you will need to get us the main and pilot jet sizes. Nice to know also what needle and position it has installed, and the fuel screw setting. Sorry, not much help just yet, but if you get this information you will get much more. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Something to investigate might be the condition of the air filter.

Just a thought.

• Vintage Not Pimpage

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hopefully Ill be able to get his bike over here on the weekend and check the specs but until then, could someone please reccomend me a ballpark jetting specs so I know what it should be.

• jbrooks26

Posted November 01, 2006 - 02:06 AM

Well, I am running a 165 main, 42 pilot, fuel screw at about 1.25-2 turns depending on the day. My needle is a JD blue at #3 I believe. I am at about 1200 ft ASL. Hope this helps.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.