clutch perch question

8 replies to this topic
  • jcorni

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:52 PM

I had to replace a cluch perch on a 06 wr 450.I have a Question,what is the small wire with the swith for ,it seems that when the clutch lever is pulled in the switch is open.the new cluch perch did not have a place to connect the switch.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 30, 2006 - 08:47 PM

The switch is so you can start your bike in gear, but the clutch lever has to be pulled to do it.

I think you can get rid of it all together, I think it is the "blue wire mod" from memory if you search for it mate.

• jcorni

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:43 AM

Thanks,we just wrapt it around the bars and she ran fine.:mad:

• Beejay

Posted October 31, 2006 - 05:52 AM

Thats because the perch they gave you is from the 05 or earlier models, you don't want to crank the starter when in gear if the clutch is not engaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted October 31, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Thats because the perch they gave you is from the 05 or earlier models, you don't want to crank the starter when in gear if the clutch is not engaged.

Actually all Wr 450's (03 to present) have the switch. If you cut the switch off and connect the two wires together the bike will start in gear with the clutch in or out.

• Beejay

Posted October 31, 2006 - 06:37 AM

Actually all Wr 450's (03 to present) have the switch. If you cut the switch off and connect the two wires together the bike will start in gear with the clutch in or out.

:mad: wasn't too sure of what year. Don't want to crank over with the starter while in gear & the clutch out.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Actually it's no big deal. I have two WR's and one of them has the switch jumped out (previous owner). Quite honestly I rarely notice the difference and if you do try to start it in gear with the clutch out all it does is rock the bike a little bit.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 31, 2006 - 07:23 PM

That can't be good at all for it I wouldn't think.....

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 31, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I really don't think it causes any harm. I've put quite a few miles on the bike without a hint of a problem. It's not like you sit there and let it try to crank in gear. Pretty much as soon as you realize it's in gear you either pull in the clutch or let go of the button.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.