gearing my 426

5 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted October 30, 2006 - 02:10 PM

I want to gear my yz426 down just a little bit. I don’t need anymore low end power, I just want to be able to ride trails in 1st and 2nd gear at a little slower speed. I have the factory sized 49 tooth rear sprocket and was wonder if going up +1 or +2 in the rear would make a noticeable difference? It's time to replace my chain and sprockets anyhow so now would be the time to change the gearing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!:mad:

• martybec

Posted October 30, 2006 - 05:24 PM

Ive got 13-48 on mine. It works ok, if I were doing it again it would be 14-52.just so the chain wouldnt drag on the swingarm so hard.

• yogist

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Im changing sprockets and chain this weekend....going to 14/52 on an 01 426

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted October 30, 2006 - 07:14 PM

14/49 is factory isn't it?

• yogist

Posted November 05, 2006 - 05:21 PM

well I rode the 14 /52 gearing today...and Love it...took some nasty boulder strewn 4x4 roads with some long rubble filled hill climbs...

It was all 2nd and third today...bike lugs the hills great...Ran some tight twisty horse trails through the desert...I was very pleased..

I Installed new steel 14/52 sprockets...and a regina Orn6 chain .. 116 links
I also installed a new slide plate and did the gray racer shim under the plate mod...Also greased and serviced the swingarm pivot and linkage..

Very pleased, this bike is always in the tight stuff..So these mods will help..
Thanks gray..:mad:

• skwerlee

Posted November 05, 2006 - 06:18 PM

well I rode the 14 /52 gearing today...and Love it...took some nasty boulder strewn 4x4 roads with some long rubble filled hill climbs...

It was all 2nd and third today...bike lugs the hills great...Ran some tight twisty horse trails through the desert...I was very pleased..

I Installed new steel 14/52 sprockets...and a regina Orn6 chain .. 116 links
I also installed a new slide plate and did the gray racer shim under the plate mod...Also greased and serviced the swingarm pivot and linkage..

Very pleased, this bike is always in the tight stuff..So these mods will help..
Thanks gray..:mad:

great, thanks for the info!:mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.