Anyone went from a 50T sprocket back to 49T on 06'

6 replies to this topic
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted October 29, 2006 - 10:01 PM

I switched way back when I got my 06 450 to a 50T sprocket. Now since my speed has picked up I am thinking about going back to the stock gearing. Has anyone else done that and if so are you happy about it?

• Wyatt

Posted October 31, 2006 - 03:38 PM

I ride MX and use the stock gearing. I haven't run a 50 tooth, but I see no need to. My bike has plenty grunt with the 49. I pulled 3rd gear starts with it this past weekend and it is plenty strong down low. I think a 50 would cause me to run out of gear on some straights and require 4th more often than now.

• 700MX

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:48 PM

I switched way back when I got my 06 450 to a 50T sprocket. Now since my speed has picked up I am thinking about going back to the stock gearing. Has anyone else done that and if so are you happy about it?

Gear to the track! I run 49-51 depending on the course. I run the 51 actually on some "fast" outdoor stuff, just because it makes 3-4 much more usable. Mess around from track to track, and write it down!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted November 01, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for your response. I bought a new 49T Blue Renthal for the track I normally run at. I only hit 4th gear once on the big table top, other than that it's 3rd and 2nd gear. I am hoping the change allows me to hit a few jumps out of the corners in second gear. We'll see this weekend.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 02, 2006 - 06:45 AM

I have been on stock gearing - but going to try a new 50T I have this weekend

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Gear to the track!

What a concept! :mad: (Good Call :mad: )

The bike has more than enough muscle to pull a 15/49. But, that probably would not match up well with the particular track or riding venue where you happen to be.

The question is simply this; is there any place on the track you are riding today in which the available gears are just wrong? Like a corner exit leading to a jump where 3rd doesn't pull hard enough, but second revs out too quick, or a hill that the bike can't handle in 4th, but third peaks 20 yards from the top? If so, would going higher or lower help it more? Remember that adding teeth to the rear (lowering the gearing) will shorten all five gears, and you'll have to shift more often. The correction that you use to fix a problem in one spot will affect the gearing everywhere else, too. How will that work out?

We found that on one of our favorite tracks, the gear we were in on several spots seemed "wrong", but the next one up or down wasn't right either. We took two teeth off the back, which let each gear pull farther, and reduced the number of shifts per lap. The stock gearing works for my son in most places, though, so that's what he usually runs.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 04, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I put the 49T on today and rode my favorite track (Speedworld). I can't believe what a difference one tooth can make. I felt that I could pull second longer and third longer (huge tabletop) and ride the track in those two gears. I am happy that I went back to it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.