2006 YZ450F Questions..

14 replies to this topic
  • CrashMachine

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hey guys, a few weeks ago we picked up an 06 YZ450F (Yellow too..hehe)
Its got about 60 miles on it (I dont know how many hours...we never really counted that)
Its still got the original oil in it.
How soon should I change it, and what should I use?
Also, I heard from someone that these new ones use two oils, one for the tranny, like the CRF's do...is this true?

I know this is probably posted somewhere else but I cant find it.

Is there anything I should know about this bike?
Within a few weeks its gonna be skidplated, get a kickstand and spark arrestor (PromotoBillet) and a few other things....

Any advice?

• 02YZ426

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:34 PM

It only uses one oil. Its shared between the top end and the transmission/clutch. If you haven't change it yet, you should now. I run Motul 10w30 and change it every ride. You can run the more expensive oils if you want.. but it gets costly if you change your oil often. Motul is good stuff and lots of guys here use it.

• Swanny40

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:34 PM

You are due an oil change. I change my oil and filter every other ride.

It uses one oil, not two. Make sure you start the bike up and let it run for a minute before changing the oil.

Swanny

• CrashMachine

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:44 PM

Is it too early to use synthetic?
I thought I should use dino for a while, just to make sure the rings seat well.

My other bike (which I'm currently trying to sell) is a 2002 Yz250F....
I love it to death..but...This 450 is AMAZING!
I CANT WAIT TO MOD THIS THING!

• Stripes123

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:59 PM

All it takes is about 30min to seat the rings well so you should be more than fine by now

• DPW

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:59 PM

go to sears or wherever and buy an hour meter. It makes keeping up on oil changes a lot easier. Oil is cheap insurance that the bike will last. I would change it now along with the filter and in the future change it at no longer then 8 hour intervals.

You can use synthetic now. Just make sure it's designed for the bike and is not "Energy Conserving" blend.

• CrashMachine

Posted October 29, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I've got about 5 quarts of Yamalube 4-R in my garage..
So that means I can use that stuff.

Any of you guys know of anybody in the Los Angeles area who wants to buy an 02 yz250f?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrashMachine

Posted October 29, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Who makes some decent skid plates and rad guards for these?
And by decent skid plate I mean one that doesnt have to be removed to change oil.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Is it too early to use synthetic?

No. I drained the factory oil out of mine when I got it home and broke it in on the same Amsoil MCF I run all the time.

I've got about 5 quarts of Yamalube 4-R in my garage..
So that means I can use that stuff.

You can if you want. I don't like it, but it won't hurt anything if you change it frequently.

Offering things for sale isn't allowed in the forums. Stick it in the classifieds for free.

• DPW

Posted October 29, 2006 - 07:19 PM

Who makes some decent skid plates and rad guards for these?
And by decent skid plate I mean one that doesnt have to be removed to change oil.

Just my opinion, but http://worksconnection.com/ is decent.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 29, 2006 - 09:57 PM

The WC plate is nice, and you don't have to remove it to change oil, but it makes it a lot easier IMO and is worth the extra time. I also like the WC rad cages, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Unabikers also.

• CrashMachine

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Sorry about the bike for sale thing.
Grayracer, If I may ask, what do you not like about Yamalube?
I looked at the Works Connection stuff, I like the skidplate and rad guards, I'll be ordering those soon.
Does anybody make handguards for the Yamaha yellow?
Seems to me like Suzuki would be a bit more pale...

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Grayracer, If I may ask, what do you not like about Yamalube?

It doesn't stay in grade well, and in general doesn't perform well in several critcial lab tests vs. other oils or testing standards for an oil of its type and price. It also has too little of the zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives for my taste.

• mtrdrms

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:11 AM

I really like my GYTR skid plate. Its holding up well after a whole season of woods riding.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 31, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Change the oil and filter now. I use Mobil 1 MX4T. It's a fully synthetic moto specific oil. It's available at Walmart around $8 a quart. I've run this stuff in the last 6 bikes I've owned. Get an hour meter DR D or Platinum 1, and change every 5 hours and filter every 10.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.