For you engine BUFFS; New owner needs HELP

6 replies to this topic
  • dangerranger21

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Well I just got this bike, I have been stripping it down and cleaning it up I have all new plastics on the way/gas tank/bars/exhaust/etc... The bike runs AWESOME! Lots of power 3rd gear especially is a pretty much "hold on" gear.. What I am trying to get at is the head of the motor? It doesnt look stock and the previous owner told me it does have upgraded cam in it but he didnt have much to tell me about any aftermarket head work... I am new to the XR600's.. Maybe Im just a big noob and thats stock but if any of you could clue me in to what that might be or whats probably goin on... Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:06 PM

looks like stock head with aftermarket valve adjuster caps.

• cbaranski

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:07 PM

It looks like a stock head. No different from my 96's. I do like the red rocker adjusting caps though. I wish i could get a set. Been looking for a set of those for years. Good luck on the project.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted October 28, 2006 - 08:28 PM

more surface area on those adjusters caps so it should dissipate heat faster.. simple but effective.

• dangerranger21

Posted October 29, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the help guys... Somthing else that has been on my mind is that there is no decompression lever/setup with this bike... There seems to be good decompression still, kicks over on the 2nd or 3rd kick... I do know the bike has a different cam i dont know if that has anything to do with it not having it...

• dangerranger21

Posted October 29, 2006 - 11:21 AM

anyone?...

• Owyhee

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys... Somthing else that has been on my mind is that there is no decompression lever/setup with this bike... There seems to be good decompression still, kicks over on the 2nd or 3rd kick... I do know the bike has a different cam i dont know if that has anything to do with it not having it...

The bar-mounted decompressor isn't for starting, it's for clearing the engine out after a crash and for bump-starting. It works really well for bump starting if you're a 140lb guy like me.

The 600 has an automatic decompressor on the cam. One of the other guys who actually knows what the hell he's talking about can explain how it works and what aftermarket cams have them.

I used to ride an XT600 with no compression release at all. Often, I could stand on the kickstarter and jump up and down and it wouldn't move. Sometimes the bike would kick back and launch me over the bars.

That is very embarassing in traffic.

I think you could get top dollar selling those valve cover thingies...

"O"

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.