XR600 no start when cold

3 replies to this topic
  • Owyhee

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:30 PM

This morning was my first "winter" ride on my 1999 XR600. Normally, the bike is a one or two kick starter when cold and a one kick starter when hot.

This morning (25 degrees, 5,500 feet) the bike would not start. With each kick it would make a blubbering noise like it was trying to fire but die.

I ended up having to push-start it down a gravel road to get it to run. Once it warmed up it was a one half-ass kick starter (4,000 feet to 7,500 feet).

Is there some cold weather trick to make it easier to start? I weigh 140lbs; kicking for 10 minutes wears me out fast.

"O"

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:49 PM

get a hotter plug maybe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 29, 2006 - 01:38 PM

Do you have the stock jetting in there? A one or two size larger pilot can help a lot.

Have you looked at the choke plate. They are known to get metal fatigue and get sucked thru the engine. I caught mine just before it broke. I just took mine out completely. I have started it down to about 30 degrees by turning on the gas and laying the bike down. That causes the carb to "flood" a bit. It then starts rather easily, but if it doesn't start in a few kicks I jhave to repete the process.

• Owyhee

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:44 PM

Do you have the stock jetting in there? A one or two size larger pilot can help a lot.

Have you looked at the choke plate. They are known to get metal fatigue and get sucked thru the engine. I caught mine just before it broke. I just took mine out completely. I have started it down to about 30 degrees by turning on the gas and laying the bike down. That causes the carb to "flood" a bit. It then starts rather easily, but if it doesn't start in a few kicks I jhave to repete the process.

Previous owner said he jetted for 3,000 feet and by the seat of my pants it feels about right. The bike doesn't pop or backfire (much) but it also will not kick start above 8,000 feet.

I'm running 15-40 Mobil 1 right now and just got a case of 0-40 Mobil 1 for winter riding. 0-40 sounds crazy to me.

This week is "carb bath" week. Both my 600 and my 200 will be getting the carbs cleaned out. While the carb is out I'll inspect the choke plate.

"O"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.