xr600r no oil to top end

5 replies to this topic
  • milltoad

Posted October 28, 2006 - 03:55 PM

First post here need some help with no oil to the top end of a 1996 xr600r just did the top end and can't seem to get any oil out of the oil line going to the head. How long should it take for the oil to reach the top of the oil line?

• rmhrc630

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:10 PM

First off did you do your best to prime the line?

I have heard it takes about a minute to get head on the line

• cbaranski

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:24 PM

Did you pull the clutch cover off? If so there is a little O-ring that goes between the oil pump and the cover with a really short tube. If this is not there, you'll have this problem. Just an experience that I had last summer with my old 85 XL600R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRsteve

Posted October 28, 2006 - 10:07 PM

I know this sounds obvious, but is the oil filter in the right way? A backwards filter will starve the top end.

• milltoad

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:13 AM

yep the line was primed and the o-ring is there took it apart again to check filter not in backward and i could see how that could block the oil. i think im going to check the relief valve maybe it was stuck open. thanks guys for your input ill keep yoiu posted.

• milltoad

Posted October 29, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I finally found out the problem guys--- It was the feed line that runs from the bottom of the frame to the pump--- It was twisted and probably restricting it most of the way but not totally--- I needed to use two wrenches to hold the line while tightened the nut--- When i tested the line it was diconnected and not twisted and looked fine when hooked up. Plenty of oil now thanksfor your input MILLTOAD

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.