Trials tires on 650R

20 replies to this topic
  • Squash

Posted October 28, 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hey all,

I need some new tires. I keep reading about how badass the trials tires are in medium to hard pack, rocks and roots, etc. What I don't see is people with the BRP talking about which tires they've actually used...

So lets hear it. Who has tried the trials tires, what kind and size and PSI did you use, and what did you think about them?

• pigryder

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Hey all,

I need some new tires. I keep reading about how badass the trials tires are in medium to hard pack, rocks and roots, etc. What I don't see is people with the BRP talking about which tires they've actually used...

So lets hear it. Who has tried the trials tires, what kind and size and PSI did you use, and what did you think about them?

I run a trials tire and will never go back to a knobbie ever:thumbsdn: I had a Michelin but to rich for me and currently Im running the IRC trials tire and LOVE it:thumbsup: This thing is awesome, If your thinking about trying one...two words DO IT. I run anywhere between 12 to 15 psi. The lower the psi the more the tire tends to wallow, not a scarey wallow and you tend to get used to it. The tire works everywhere, I ride nasty east coast rocks, roots, lose coal dirt and everything in between. A friend of mine just put one on his XR400 I actually mounted it for him. He made fun of me when we were headed for the trails and after he saw how well it worked he bought one. Right now I have about 5 rides on it, a knobbie would be shot for me by now and Im gonna flip it and ride it til the knobs fly off. :mad: The best part about these tires is they last about 50% longer than a knobbie and have twice the traction as a new knobbie all the time in every condition, up until they are completely shot! Like I said if your thinking about it DO IT! Oh I forgot to add how well you can flat track these tires in corners, they are soo predictable not like a knobbie on the edge and you dont know if your gonna lose it or if its gonna hook. The trials tire will break lose when you want it to and hook right back up when you want it too like I said very predictable:thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:30 PM

I've wanted to try one. But I dualsport and wonder how a trials tire would withstand 75mph pavement pounding in 100+ degree heat. Anyone have experience with that?

• pigryder

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:33 PM

I've wanted to try one. But I dualsport and wonder how a trials tire would withstand 75mph pavement pounding in 100+ degree heat. Anyone have experience with that?

The tire is a very soft compound and would probally not take long to melt on the blacktop

• coffee

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:51 PM

You can check out the "dunlop 803s on a TE250" thread in the trials section if you want. I can say that they ride smoother on the road than knobbies once they are balanced. I like the tires a lot. I made way too many posts regarding trials tires in the offroad riding technique forum if you want to read those.

Mitas ET-01 is DOT tire, Dunlop 803's seem cheapest, then there are the
IRC and Michalon (sp), and probably more out there. Its just is not that much money to try a trials (or any other) tire to see if you like it.

best of luck.

Edit - all of my posts were regarding competion trials tires (radial).

• pigryder

Posted October 29, 2006 - 04:58 AM

make sure the one you get is a Radial, Cheng Shin makes one that is cheap an not a radial and they dont last very long at all

• rebelventurer

Posted October 29, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I will be trying the michelins, after I wear out my dunlop 606's. I have some friends that swear by them, and they hold up well on the street, according to them. You get what you pay for with the michelins, says they!!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 29, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Is this about Trial or Trail tires? one is for slow finness no feet down riding and the other is for just that trail riding. So which are we talking about here?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:02 PM

On my XR650R I have run the Michelin X11 trials and the IRC TR11. The Michelin out lasted the IRC. They both performed great. If you plan on doing high speed riding don't get a trials tire. They heat up and start throwing center lugs very quickly. On the trails no matter how nasty rooty and rocky it is they perform great. Because the 650 is such a torque monster it can break a trials tire lose and spin it. This is not good for trials tires. They get traction everywhere without spinning. That is what they are designed to do. So keep in mind with trials tires you have an awsome machine but keep the speed down and stop trying to roost everyone. If you do that they will last a very long time.

I also have a brand new Dunlop 803 trials tire waiting to be mounted. I have not used a Dunlop trials tire before so I can't comment a lot about it except that my buddy is using one on his 650 and loves it.

I have never tried the Mitas either.

• coffee

Posted October 29, 2006 - 09:30 PM

On my XR650R I have run the Michelin X11 trials and the IRC TR11. The Michelin out lasted the IRC. They both performed great.

I also have a brand new Dunlop 803 trials tire waiting to be mounted. I have not used a Dunlop trials tire before so I can't comment a lot about it except that my buddy is using one on his 650 and loves it.

I have never tried the Mitas either.

It would be great if you said what pressure you are running, and how you like the Dunlop when you get a chance to try it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted October 30, 2006 - 12:22 AM

It would be great if you said what pressure you are running, and how you like the Dunlop when you get a chance to try it out.

I run about 10 to 12 lbs.

• WramblinWrex

Posted October 31, 2006 - 02:57 AM

i have a general tire question, and i hope you don't mind me adding it here. i have read a lot here on the 606's. for street and dirt road riding with occasional "real off road" riding, what would the recommendation be. max speed 55ish mph. the trials or a set of 606's?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 31, 2006 - 08:32 AM

i have a general tire question, and i hope you don't mind me adding it here. i have read a lot here on the 606's. for street and dirt road riding with occasional "real off road" riding, what would the recommendation be. max speed 55ish mph. the trials or a set of 606's?

If the majority of your time is spent at speeds over 40mph and on pavement get the 606's. I don't know much about the Mita's which are a dual sport DOT approved trials tire. They may be able to handle long distance at higher speed on hard terrain and pavement. Most other trials tires cannot.

• coffee

Posted October 31, 2006 - 09:18 AM

606 - ran 606's for many miles worked well for me. Trials tires are a different animal. The only reason trials tires are important to me is the 9 months a year with no rain when the trails are harder than concrete with steep (to me) hills with loose gravel on them in CA.

• Squash

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I orderd a pair of the IRCs from my friends at City Garage Racing. I'll have them installed in time for this weekend and will let everyone know how they did. So far I can tell you one thing about these tires.. They're affordable!

• Billahjack

Posted November 01, 2006 - 01:13 PM

Haven't tried Trials Tires yet. I live out in the desert and use Dunlop 606's or 952's since I ride on the street to get to trails. I love the new 952 rear (not DOT Legal). I bought it for $69 mounted at the local shop. Grips on solid dry rock, big rocks, hard pack & soft shallow sand, gravel, grass, and asphalt. I can rail corners on the dry street no problem. So far, the wear is good considering I roost/power slide half of the time. There are some trails where I need to roost to get the bike to turn faster and it sounds like the trials tires might get chewed up from this.

I guess If I crawled along trails then I would look for a trials tire and a smaller bike. Riding the 650r, I find it rewarding to brake into a corner while stepping the rear end out slightly, then gas it into a power slide and roost like a jet ski.

• coffee

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:48 PM

I am going to watch this thread with great interest. I wound up using stick on weights from a auto tire shop and spun balanced them. On my Husky TE250 balancing the wheels made a huge difference. Do yourself a favor and find out if IRC puts the yellow dot on the heavy or light spot on the tire and put the light part of the tire at the rim lock (assuming you only have 1 rim lock).

Usually lighter bikes use trials tires, and even then just on the rear. No other non-trials TTr admits to using a front trials tire... except me...

• WramblinWrex

Posted November 03, 2006 - 02:38 AM

i think i'll spoon on some 606's latethis winter (preperation for spring). thanks for the advice. i have not read anything bad about the 606's, but i have never seen a pair and didn't know how they would hold up on pavement and hard pack dirt. thanks again

• Squash

Posted November 03, 2006 - 12:14 PM

The area I ride at (St. Joe's State PArk in Farmington, MO) has a lot of medium to hard pack with roots and rocks. Theres some sand that you have to get across to get to the trails, but sand performance is not important to me at all. As far as speed goes, I went +1 in the front on my 650r and I rarely get out of 3rd gear.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 03, 2006 - 03:12 PM

i think i'll spoon on some 606's latethis winter (preperation for spring). thanks for the advice. i have not read anything bad about the 606's, but i have never seen a pair and didn't know how they would hold up on pavement and hard pack dirt. thanks again

From personal experience with the 606 I would say they are a very durable tire. They do not do well in sand or loose gravel. They are fine on hard packed ground. Personally the MT21 Perelli is just a bit better off road than the 606.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.