YZF400 History

5 replies to this topic
  • Brennan82

Posted October 28, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Can someone please give me a brief history lesson on the YZF400. I need information like when was it made, who made it, was it made for someone in specific, stuff like that.
Thanks

• bboyce

Posted October 28, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Are you on something..."who made it" ...&%$#@!?
It was made form 1998-1999, and it was made to Moto. Oh yea, Yamaha made it, just for the record.:mad:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:10 PM

It was made form 1998-1999, and it was made to Moto. Oh yea, Yamaha made it, just for the record.:mad:

The prototype was introduced in 1997 (I believe) Doug Henry rode it as factory yami rider and won Las Vegas in its innagaral.....race ...again if my memory serves me correctly.....I bought a 1998 YZF400...one of the only riders in my area to dare try a 4stroke....everyone laughed at me for buying it,,,,,"oh that thang sounds like to stuck pig"....I remember all the flack....I bought a 1999 and the comments were still made....I knew the bike would be the future of MX, but most were skeptical even then and into 2000.....The 400 evolved to the 426 which evolved to the 450,,,each yr yami improved on little things (I bought each year 400-426 and even a WR in 02)
...no big major changes until the 450 in 03....then the 06 came out and it was totally trick compared to the 03-05...07 has the normal small enhances but it is one of the best bikes you can buy today...certainly has the best stock suspension of any 450 out there.....and sticks a line...just like a slot car!

History lesson complete!:mad:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:42 PM

As a historical side bar, when Yamaha rolled out the first prototypes of the YZ250F, which I believe they did in late 1999, they told no one, and no one knew. And yet it was right there in plain sight. How did they hide it? By putting YZ400 stickers on the fender and have Doug Dubach ride it in the big class, that's how. :mad:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:44 PM

grayracer, that's interesting info!

• Brennan82

Posted October 29, 2006 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I typed that. I was using a crappy computer so it wouldn't let me edit my post and thanks for the info.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.