Will I like 07' yz450 vs my 02426?

15 replies to this topic
  • 6fiddy

Posted October 28, 2006 - 09:27 AM

Im thinking of buying a new yz 450 but my 02'426 is sooo dialed in and modded that im concerned i might be throwing away 4500 to upgrade. Im 40 and ride as hard as I can and i do like to jump. Can someone tell me what to expect out of the 07 versus my 426? Thanks! J.R.

• Xmx

Posted October 28, 2006 - 09:41 AM

The 426 has a killer motor but the handling isn't even close to how nice the 07 yz is. They don't feel top heavy like your bike. The motor is smoother on the yz 450 . I like the yz , I got the CRF. The new bikes are sweet .

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2006 - 09:52 AM

The '07 will need a different exhaust to fatten up the bottom end that the rather quiet stock system takes away, but other than tires suitable for your neighborhood, and a decent chain, it needs nothing else, other than a little armor if you're a hard core woods guy.

The bike will have more power, delivered more smoothly at every speed, deceptively smoothly, and actually be much quicker than your 426. It will feel 45 pounds lighter, and be so easy to ride you'll think it's a 250 2-stroke powered by a monster electric motor. The bike will turn when you want it to in the direction you want it to. It will change lines at will under nearly any circumstance. At speed, over rough slippery ground, the front end will feel stable and planted, not skittish and disconnected. It will feel so much more maneuverable and controllable in the air that you won't believe it. The stock suspension is already better than a $5000 Enzo job on a 426.

It will do exactly what you expect it to do so well, and with so little effort, that it will remind you of a well trained hunting dog with a will of its own, determined to please you. It may be the most incredible MX bike you have ever ridden. It certainly is to me.

• 6fiddy

Posted October 28, 2006 - 10:11 AM

The '07 will need a different exhaust to fatten up the bottom end that the rather quiet stock system takes away, but other than tires suitable for your neighborhood, and a decent chain, it needs nothing else, other than a little armor if you're a hard core woods guy.

The bike will have more power, delivered more smoothly at every speed, deceptively smoothly, and actually be much quicker than your 426. It will feel 45 pounds lighter, and be so easy to ride you'll think it's a 250 2-stroke powered by a monster electric motor. The bike will turn when you want it to in the direction you want it to. It will change lines at will under nearly any circumstance. At speed, over rough slippery ground, the front end will feel stable and planted, not skittish and disconnected. It will feel so much more maneuverable and controllable in the air that you won't believe it. The stock suspension is already better than a $5000 Enzo job on a 426.

It will do exactly what you expect it to do so well, and with so little effort, that it will remind you of a well trained hunting dog with a will of its own, determined to please you. It may be the most incredible MX bike you have ever ridden. It certainly is to me.

Anyone interested in an awesome YZ426 w/ big bore kit and tons of mods?:mad:

• Radbuster

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Sucker! :mad: :mad:

Money-wise I can't do anything right now so my trusty n' rusty '03 will do for now.

For a do-it-all bike I have been considering lots of options from WR450, WR250, 300EXC, YZ250, YZ250F. But, as it stands now, it's going to be a slightly used '07 YZ450 during next fall. Maybe a Rekluse and maybe a revalve to take some edge off the MX settings.

Just having to deal with my '03 I've noticed tha the best handling improvement seems to be to ride better. Staying fluid, flowing with the bike, using balance and not fighting the bike works every time.

Second, reliability. Sure, I take it apart, tweak it, polish, clean and generally try to look after it. Have ridden it in hard in wet sand, mud, hard clay during 03, 04, 05, 06 and will have to untill 2'nd half of 07. A slightly used '07 will feel like a new bike.

Yamaha has been a very responsible company and they will be rewarded again when it's time.

Sochiro Honda would turn in his grave and fire the bastages :worthy: who knowingly made withdrawals from the good-will of his company by selling unneccesarily high-maintenance CRF's. The product managers of the CRF's have felt it was fully OK to put the added cost on the bike enthusiast. Remember the leaking airboxes on the 02's? Well, it took untill '04 to fix that. Substandard valves and valve seats? the 450X '05 finally got that. The new 250F seems to have the highest compression piston of all. Howzat, in the least reliable 250F motor (save the awful RMZ/KXF 04/05). Separate oil chambers? When in the world is the hot oil from the top end be able to cool? :mad: A ticking time bomb. How many used wrecked red bikes are there now? Used red bike owners are surely wondering what were these nuts thinking when designing engines and choosing materials?

Except for the '06 250F valve recall, and the '04 WR450 flywheel woodruff key, Yamaha has been shipping first-rate stuff we can count on.

Who do you trust?

• doublecaser

Posted October 28, 2006 - 01:08 PM

02 vs 07. 5 years of 4-stroke technology is huge considering four strokes were pretty new in 2002. It will feel like when switched to a 250F on steroids

• 02YZ426

Posted October 28, 2006 - 01:20 PM

I made the switch from my 02 426 and thought I would miss it.

Posted Image

But I will tell you this.. Soon as I through my leg over the 450 my 426 was old news! The new bike rocks..... You won't regret a thing, go for it!

Posted Image

• Radbuster

Posted October 28, 2006 - 01:53 PM

You are so cruel! Arrrghhh! :mad:

:mad:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:49 PM

I went from an 00 426 to an 06, and I was nervous about it at first but I'm really happy. I do still miss my old bike, but that bike and I went way back :mad: I love my 06, except for that rediculous front tire, and I'm not sorry I upgraded. FWIW, I've only rode my 450 in the woods and it's pretty nice. It seems to be a little stiffer than my old 426 was, but not really enough to make me complain... probably has something to do with losing 30 pounds! Just do it, you won't be sorry! :mad:

• Bigcr

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I've ridden the 426, bought an '03 CR450 and just recently got myself an '07 YZ450....The YZ rocks dude!! Great handling, great suspension, great motor. Like Gray said, ditch the chain (the grips suck too) and roll.

• hi everybody

Posted October 29, 2006 - 05:57 PM

02yz426, did you do that blue chain by yourself, or did you purchase it from somewhere? that thing looks SWEET!

• 02YZ426

Posted October 29, 2006 - 06:07 PM

02yz426, did you do that blue chain by yourself, or did you purchase it from somewhere? that thing looks SWEET!

Thanks, Its an EK X-Ring chain, and they come like that.

• hi everybody

Posted October 29, 2006 - 06:45 PM

huh...I didnt know that. thanks! does anybody know of a chain that comes in blue like that but doesnt have the o/x rings?

• hi everybody

Posted October 29, 2006 - 06:46 PM

oops..nevermind my last question...just checked their website:busted:

• dubious

Posted October 29, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Yup .
What GRAY SAID!
The new geometry and suspension will blow you away!
No money spent on the older bikes will make them what the new ones are.
short of Showa Works suspension... but the geometry still will suck!

Get the new bike!
I Sold my pimped out CR500AF for a new bike!

• shipe

Posted February 20, 2007 - 05:58 PM

This is all to easy, I bought a new 07 yz450 was so unsure i just kept my 02wr426 and my 01yz426. They dont even come close to the 07. That thing is a monster. I raced it 2/4/7 and got to hole shots for the weekend but couldnt hold on to it the rest of the race, ill have to work on those arms! hopefully i can hold on to it next month at glennhelen.http://image.eshare.hpphoto.com/rs/D9382AAB-3C35-45A6-B71E-4C45A69E7213/webview
If the pic showes up Thats my 07 fixin to pass the ktm.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.