Is the 2003 Clymer Manual good enough for an '07 XR650L ??

The diff. in years wont make a diff. The bikes are all the same except for some grease fitings that were taken away in latter years. I have used clymers before,and if you don't keep an eye out they can miss lead.

So are those the only two manuals available? Honda and Clymer? Clymer being the better of the two?

I had a clymer manual for my XR650L, and it was NOT very good. Most of the info is general for honda single cylinder dirtbikes, and to find the specifics for an XRL you had to find it among a sea of nonsense. A true Honda manual would be well worth the extra money,,,,,,believe me.

Even photocopy someone elses, or find a PDF file, but don't waste your money on a Clymer, take advice from someone who spent too much time looking for oil capacity, or other important info.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both; use the Honda XRL Service manual most of the time, but pick up a few pointers out of Clymers too.

But if you really want to wrench everything, I'm thinking about adding the Honda Common Service Manual to the bunch. With all three I think should cover everything.

• 1 year later...

It really depends on what info you need and what work you may be doing of course. I would love to find a DOWNLOADABLE 650-l service manual. I have one for the 650R and it's much more in depth than the Clymer. In addition there are instances where the diagrams for simple things (like the seat), etc are more usable. However, a manual in print for $20 is vastly better than one costing twice as much IF the stuff you are doing is limited to basic repair. If I was going to add on to the frame, pull the motor, look for specs for the carb (in terms of a after market replacement) I would really want the real thing.

I have both; use the Honda XRL Service manual most of the time, but pick up a few pointers out of Clymers too.

But if you really want to wrench everything, I'm thinking about adding the Honda Common Service Manual to the bunch. With all three I think should cover everything.

where do you get the last one you mentioned? is that the one the honda techs use?

where do you get the last one you mentioned? is that the one the honda techs use?

If I remember right, I downloaded the common service manual from honda riders group with the free one year membership.

I'm not on my home computer so not really sure. But if thats the one, It is just an overview on everything. It covers a lot, just not in detail. More of a really detailed owners manual for any Honda Bike.