Is the 2003 Clymer Manual good enough for an '07 XR650L ??

22 replies to this topic
  • EX-EXRIDER

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:54 AM

Thank 4 ur replys:ride:

• AlbinoPig

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:57 AM

It beats NO manual. And that's all I have to say about that.

• EX-EXRIDER

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Duh...........

• goblin127

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:49 AM

The diff. in years wont make a diff. The bikes are all the same except for some grease fitings that were taken away in latter years. I have used clymers before,and if you don't keep an eye out they can miss lead.

• EX-EXRIDER

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Goblin.... I like the Clymer:thumbsup: more than the Honda Service Manual:thumbsdn:

• squatpuke

Posted October 29, 2006 - 09:12 AM

The diff. in years wont make a diff. The bikes are all the same except for some grease fitings that were taken away in latter years. I have used clymers before,and if you don't keep an eye out they can miss lead.

So are those the only two manuals available? Honda and Clymer? Clymer being the better of the two?

• jwriott

Posted October 29, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I haven't looked at the Clymer manual but typically, they are not nearly as good as the Honda one's.

You can download the Honda manual for free.

http://www.xr650r.us/

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 29, 2006 - 01:47 PM

You can download the Honda manual for free.

http://www.xr650r.us/

That .pdf is for a 650R.

Anyone know of a similar resource for the 650L?

• EX-EXRIDER

Posted October 30, 2006 - 05:27 AM

So VMAX,,since you haven't actually seen a Clymer Manual,,you really don't have a clue....

• babbs

Posted October 30, 2006 - 05:59 AM

I had a clymer manual for my XR650L, and it was NOT very good. Most of the info is general for honda single cylinder dirtbikes, and to find the specifics for an XRL you had to find it among a sea of nonsense. A true Honda manual would be well worth the extra money,,,,,,believe me.

Even photocopy someone elses, or find a PDF file, but don't waste your money on a Clymer, take advice from someone who spent too much time looking for oil capacity, or other important info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AlbinoPig

Posted October 30, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Babbs said it all. I DO have the Clymer manual and it beats nothing, but it is not in the same class as the Honda Service Manual.

• EX-EXRIDER

Posted October 30, 2006 - 05:24 PM

Ok,,OK!!!..Thanks guys,,i get the picture now...quess I will get them both cuz I'm stobborn....:mad: :mad: :mad:

• babbs

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:26 PM

If you are gonna buy 'em both, make sure you get the honda manual first. Then you won't need the clymer........If you do it the other way around you will end up with 'em both.

• jc5326

Posted November 18, 2006 - 01:03 PM

I have both; use the Honda XRL Service manual most of the time, but pick up a few pointers out of Clymers too.

But if you really want to wrench everything, I'm thinking about adding the Honda Common Service Manual to the bunch. With all three I think should cover everything.

• quicksilver

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:03 PM

It really depends on what info you need and what work you may be doing of course. I would love to find a DOWNLOADABLE 650-l service manual. I have one for the 650R and it's much more in depth than the Clymer. In addition there are instances where the diagrams for simple things (like the seat), etc are more usable. However, a manual in print for $20 is vastly better than one costing twice as much IF the stuff you are doing is limited to basic repair. If I was going to add on to the frame, pull the motor, look for specs for the carb (in terms of a after market replacement) I would really want the real thing.

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:47 AM

I have both; use the Honda XRL Service manual most of the time, but pick up a few pointers out of Clymers too.

But if you really want to wrench everything, I'm thinking about adding the Honda Common Service Manual to the bunch. With all three I think should cover everything.

where do you get the last one you mentioned? is that the one the honda techs use?

• jaredc28

Posted November 26, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Ditto on the clymer manual "sucking". It is very vauge and does not specify the differences in service between different years of bike for each procedure. I am looking for a Honda Manual as we speak.

• creeky

Posted November 26, 2007 - 04:36 PM

The Clymer manual is a loser, gives just enough info to get you into trouble.

• gearloos

Posted November 26, 2007 - 05:09 PM

where do you get the last one you mentioned? is that the one the honda techs use?

If I remember right, I downloaded the common service manual from honda riders group with the free one year membership.
I'm not on my home computer so not really sure. But if thats the one, It is just an overview on everything. It covers a lot, just not in detail. More of a really detailed owners manual for any Honda Bike.

• INYOxrl

Posted November 26, 2007 - 06:18 PM

I have been poking around for a downloadable Honda repair manual for the XR650L, with no luck...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.