Need advise with my 06 XR650L

8 replies to this topic
  • NRT_Chris

Posted October 27, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I have a 06 XRL. I bought it with 1200 mils on it for 4000.00 four months ago. The guy i got it from never did the oil change after he got it (i think ). I know i should have done it right away, But I didnt. I know i should have.:mad: That being said, Three weeks ago it over heated on my way home from work. I took the dipstick out and i could smell the oil was burnt.:mad: I changed the oil and the bike seemed to run ok but it was making a "clacking" noise. The bike is at Orange County Honda right now. They are not sure what the problem is yet but they are going to take the top end off to see whats wrong. Should i have them install a Big Bore kit? If so witch one should i get?.....

I know im lame for not changing the oil when i got it but whats done is done. What should i do now? Please help:confused:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:29 AM

First of all welcome to ThumperTalk, the knowledge available to you on this site is vast and the only way to learn is to ask. The repairs will not be covered by warranty, am I correct in that? More than likely you have valvetrain issues, not piston! This is a shame the bike may never be as good as it could have been again. Definately DO NOT put a big bore kit in, if you wont do the maintanance required, with stock the last thing you need is the additional heat, and wear and tear of a big bore kit. If your smart you will just keep quiet and let the honda shop fix it, then ride it responsibly, get a manual so that you can learn how to check the oil properly, and the proceedures to change the oil and filter, and clean the oil screen. Good luck.

• NRT_Chris

Posted October 28, 2006 - 07:34 AM

First of all welcome to ThumperTalk, the knowledge available to you on this site is vast and the only way to learn is to ask. The repairs will not be covered by warranty, am I correct in that? More than likely you have valvetrain issues, not piston! This is a shame the bike may never be as good as it could have been again. Definately DO NOT put a big bore kit in, if you wont do the maintanance required, with stock the last thing you need is the additional heat, and wear and tear of a big bore kit. If your smart you will just keep quiet and let the honda shop fix it, then ride it responsibly, get a manual so that you can learn how to check the oil properly, and the proceedures to change the oil and filter, and clean the oil screen. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply but you came off kind of harsh."Definately DO NOT put a big bore kit in, if you wont do the maintanance required" I made a expensive mistake by listening to the bone head that i got it from. I didnt say that i dont plan on doing maintanace. and i dont underatand this comment:"If your smart you will just keep quiet and let the honda shop fix it, then ride it then ride it responsibly, get a manual so that you can learn how to check the oil properly, and the proceedures to change the oil and filter, and clean the oil screen". I have the manual and i do know how to take care of the bike. This is not my first bike, just the newest one

• babbs

Posted October 28, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I don't think 1500 miles without an oil change would do much to an L. I would guess that you need to adjust the valves. I rode my L and never had it overheat. How do you know it overheated, unless you have a thermometer dipstick? I would re-jet, adjust the valves, and change the oil. But then again.....I haven't heard the "clacking" noise.

My .02

Babbs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Sorry did not mean to be harsh, it just strikes me as a bad way to treat a new bike. If it were mine the oil would have been changed at least twice by now. These motors are near bullet proof and all I can think is that the original owner really abused the bike. The clacking without hearing it would be damaged rockers and valvetrain components, was the oil low? It would seem the only way that you can overheat one is for it to be at half or less oil capacity. And a bore kit will only add heat to an already, abused motor, theres no telling what other excessive wear has occured, crank bearings, transmission bearings and gears, etc... I would keep it stock unless you want to do a complete rebuild, done by a pro. No insult or offense intended. Is Honda going to cover the repairs? Did the bike have an extended factory warranty? Is Honda voiding that warranty? What I meant by keeping your mouth shut, is any info you give the dealer can and will be used against you as far as warranty is concerned. I would have taken it to them and said its making a knocking noise and not divulged any more info, and would have left it to them to figure out and hopefully it would have been covered by the warranty. I really hate this for you you had practically a new bike and now you have damaged goods. The repair bill at a Honda dealer can easily reach the price you paid for the bike, so I really hope its covered. Good luck with it, let us know what was wrong and the the outcome. Once again sorry for coming across so harsh.

• TexasXR650L

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:55 PM

i didnt think you were harsh at all. maybe some people get their feelings hurt to easy. people come here to ask questions and get advise, not love from complete strangers :mad:

• NRT_Chris

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:26 PM

i didnt think you were harsh at all. maybe some people get their feelings hurt to easy. people come here to ask questions and get advise, not love from complete strangers :mad:

Just like every other forum there is always someone that has to make a :mad: hole comment and not contribute in a productive way.

Rebel: I may have taken your comments the wrong way. Thanks for the advise in your second post. Ill keep you guys posted as to what happens.

• NRT_Chris

Posted November 14, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Got my bike back today:applause: It was a very expensive lesson. don't trust the guy that you bought the bike from, service the bike as soon as you get it... $723.70. They said it " partially seased " new piston cylinder white bros pipe and Uni filter and I'm back on the road:ride:

• goblin127

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Got my bike back today:applause: It was a very expensive lesson. don't trust the guy that you bought the bike from, service the bike as soon as you get it... $723.70. They said it " partially seased " new piston cylinder white bros pipe and Uni filter and I'm back on the road:ride:

Congrats! I guess it could have been worse. Did it need a new piston and to be honed?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.