CA Sound Level Requirements

6 replies to this topic
  • NAW

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Does anyone know if an un-corked, but otherwise stock, '01 650R will come under the limit of 96 dbA? I have removed the exhaust baffle, but did not drill anything out back there...

• cleonard

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that it is too loud without the baffle. You can get an aftermarket baffle that flows a lot better than stock, but is quiet enough to be legal.

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:10 PM

well, I don't know how much it differs, but my while I was waiting for my White Brothers E2 exhaust to come in for my 650L, I ground away the two welds for the baffle, and took it out, then I had it tested at my local City College autoshop, and it was 94 or 95db, which is legal. My white bros is louder anyway, and I don't get bothered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NAW

Posted October 31, 2006 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the input. FYI - I had it sound checked at the Hilltoppers D37 Race on 10/28. It registered 96.5 dbA.

I may try and invent some small mod to get it officially under. I don't think I need a new pipe for power purposes, and the weight is already "HEAVY", so until I ding the stocker, I think I'll try and work with it. Or wait for another test and see how accurate the tester-units are. 0.5 dbA over! Are the testers that claibrated?

• ogrider650

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the input. FYI - I had it sound checked at the Hilltoppers D37 Race on 10/28. It registered 96.5 dbA.

I may try and invent some small mod to get it officially under. I don't think I need a new pipe for power purposes, and the weight is already "HEAVY", so until I ding the stocker, I think I'll try and work with it. Or wait for another test and see how accurate the tester-units are. 0.5 dbA over! Are the testers that claibrated?

damn they actually tested you ? i figured the good old fashioned ... yeah sounds about 93 and your good lol. did you have a good race?

• Tiki

Posted November 01, 2006 - 03:09 PM

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23037
This is the official page.

• NAW

Posted November 01, 2006 - 05:13 PM

damn they actually tested you ? i figured the good old fashioned ... yeah sounds about 93 and your good lol. did you have a good race?

It was my first one ever. One loop only, but yes, it was great. Awesome new experience in taking riding to the next level. Finished, didn't dump it, didn't get lost.... So, I plan to do another one, and even have another Newb buddy I will bring with me who can't wait to try a race (We've both ridden for 20+ years, just never raced). After doing the bomb-run and getting that first 10 miles worth of adrenaline processed, I have to say that was a feeling one probably won't get riding the trails from Dove Springs to the Jawbone store and back...

Re: the sound, they said even numbers get tested so I went over and saw the lady with the tester. She was not an "Officer of the law" according to her, but took the scan-tron paper I had filled out and did the test. Nobody I saw was prevented from starting - and they all sounded - at least - as loud as the BRP uncorked but otherwise Stocker.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.