effect of lowering links on handling

1 reply to this topic
  • HGaither1

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I see where a company is making lowering links for the 450, would this have an adverse effect on the front end? Would it make the front tire more prone to wash outs? I am 6 foot tall but my height is more in my upper body, my legs are really not that long and sometimes certain situations can be challenging, particularly stalls on hills. Anyone had any experience with these?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I've had many experiences with stalling on hills, and at 5'10", it can indeed be a challenge.

Oh, wait, you meant the lowering links. Ah, well, if all you did was install a lowering link, you would increase the head angle and exacerbate the problem of pushing the front end through corners, which is bad enough without any extra encouragement. Depending on how much the rear gets lowered, you can compensate by sliding the fork tubes up, but there's a practical limit to what you can do there of about 12mm, and then the forks hit the handlebars.

Lowering the bike by making the link longer without modifying the relay arm fouls up the rising rate also, and you end up without adequate bottoming resistance, and your rear wheel is moved that much closer to the rear fender.

I don't like the whole idea, frankly, and even if you lower the bike 2", side hills will still be a b*tch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.