Anybody running 20" front wheel?

10 replies to this topic
  • rdahl

Posted October 27, 2006 - 08:42 AM

I saw a CRF450 at the desert last weekend with a 20" front wheel, "alot more meat than the 21"....I like the concept and was wondering if anyone on a xr650r has tried it? Seems like it would work well in cornering since the BRP always tends to over power the front grip. I know I know you steer these bikes with the throttle and the ass end, but a little more front grip never hurts....any one have input?

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Seems like it would put more weight on the front being a smaller diameter, and help with turn in, in the right conditions, I would try a lower profile front tire first though, a lot cheaper than than a new wheel and I bet 20" tires are twice what a 21 costs.

• simon@vic

Posted October 27, 2006 - 11:35 AM

seems like a bad idea to mee. WAY less tire choice!

23" front wheels are too big 20" is too small.
why change something that works fine?

• captb

Posted October 27, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I think that was what came on my 1986 XR600R, I didn't see any big difference other than tires were more costly and less choices.

• rdahl

Posted October 27, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Seems like it would put more weight on the front being a smaller diameter, and help with turn in, in the right conditions, I would try a lower profile front tire first though, a lot cheaper than than a new wheel and I bet 20" tires are twice what a 21 costs.

I was thinking to run a 20" tire with a thicker profile to match an overal diameter of a 21" tire. The setup i saw looked like he was running a less agressive rear tire in the front......Just trying to think outside the box a little....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:08 PM

That makes no sense to me, why run a 20 with a tall profile that takes away steering feel and turn in ability, the only time this would make any kind of sense to me is running high speeds over a very rocky surface. If you want more steering feel and to add weight to the front a lower profile tire is the way to achieve this. Good luck, share your findings with us!

• ThunderChicken

Posted October 31, 2006 - 09:23 AM

I was thinking to run a 20" tire with a thicker profile to match an overal diameter of a 21" tire. The setup i saw looked like he was running a less agressive rear tire in the front......Just trying to think outside the box a little....

Ty Davis and the rest of the Montclair Yamaha team run 20 inch fronts.

One guy in my club uses a 20 inch front on his YZ250. I asked him about it one day and he said he can't tell any difference.

I've thought about knocking down a front wheel and lacing a 20 to the hub but then I think about the effort and the cost and the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to find the front tire I like to run and I move on...

• destroyer_au

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:19 AM

What about lacing an 18" rear rim to the front hub?

Might be an easy/cheap way to get a set of motard wheels...

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:55 PM

I just realized how old this thread is. anyway I just put a 20 on and it works great everywhere so far. It is smoother . It turns better. Less choices than a 21 but who cares it works better. I am even running a cheap tire from Parts unlimited called excella OF215 90/100-21 It was just over 50 bucks. I can't wait till I try a pirelli or the 90/100-20 M201 Bridgestone. That last one looks pretty good and works good from what I hear. This excella bites great so I may stick to this cheap tire anyway. Anyway I think it is worth the money and time to change it.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted April 02, 2008 - 02:01 AM

[quote name='hawaiidirtrider']I just realized how old this thread is. anyway I just put a 20 on and it works great everywhere so far. It is smoother . It turns better. Less choices than a 21 but who cares it works better. I am even running a cheap tire from Parts unlimited called excella OF215 90/100-21 It was just over 50 bucks.

This is a mistake. It is a excella OF 215 90/100-20.

• Kenzo

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:16 AM

a few of the KLR (another bike i have) guys run fat 19" tire/wheel combos up front...19" were prefered due to tire costs and selections...i believe the the 19" were only about 1/2" shorter than the 21"...the biggest tradeoff would seem to be the added weight...

if you think the BRP is heavy and "pushes" give a KLR a ride in the dirt :bonk:

:prof:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.