Anyone know of an LED Headlight bulb?

4 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Looking to reduce power consumption w/o spending $$ on an HID setup. Does an LED headlight exist for the WR's?
Ive converted to a DC system and Im running LED's in the back and signals but the charging system still isnt keeping up with the draw. Im running the TrailTech Vapor w/ backlight in addition so "I need more power".

Any suggestions on the headlight?

• Audun

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Have made som LED rear lights for dirrerent bikes.. YOu will fint that most LED solutions isnt approwed since the beam will be to narrow.. Im shure you can fint a LED solution that fits in your headlight, but it isnt any good.. Im personally going to get hold of a XENON bulb.. From what ive learned this bulbs just uses a lot of voltage not current to get the XENON gas to excite light. This high voltage is made by the same principle as the spark your sprakplug makes.. by a coil..

Im going to instll that xenon bulb and make a manual tilt mech. so I can use it offroad and on road..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spidennis

Posted October 30, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Looking to reduce power consumption w/o spending $$ on an HID setup. Does an LED headlight exist for the WR's?
Ive converted to a DC system and Im running LED's in the back and signals but the charging system still isnt keeping up with the draw. Im running the TrailTech Vapor w/ backlight in addition so "I need more power".

Any suggestions on the headlight?

You wouldn't by chance have a webpage and photos of your ac to dc conversion would you? If not, what did you do exactly? I'm still thinking about doing this as well ...... we all want more power for our lights, especially this time of year!

• NuckingFuts

Posted October 30, 2006 - 01:17 PM

You wouldn't by chance have a webpage and photos of your ac to dc conversion would you? If not, what did you do exactly? I'm still thinking about doing this as well ...... we all want more power for our lights, especially this time of year!

Here's a link compliments of rich_in_orlando
http://www.farplaces.com/dual.htm

• Nashty

Posted October 31, 2006 - 04:10 AM

LED's won't shine too far I would think. In my experience with them, you can get a bright beam but it is pretty focused. You'd need a lot of them to perform at the same level as the stocker.

Consider a lower wattage beam for low and a higher one for hi beam. Like a 20/50 or so. The stock bulb is actually a dual filament although there is no wire attached to the one filament. I built a dual sport kit for mine and added a battery (also floated the ground). I too used LED's for everything but the headlight and am pretty happy with them.

You could also go with the 12V halogen lights. I bought a set of Cateyes for my YSR and those worked awesome. Same thing as the more expensive Laser Lights or Trail Tech units. Only used 20 watts and were really nice with both the spot and flood pattern bulbs.

I'd install a small battery to help as well. Go to Batteries Plus and get a Werker or similar unit. CHeap dry cell battery and they come in a variety of shapes. I've used them on the last (2) bikes I wired from scratch including my WR.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.