450 suspension in the 426

6 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Will the 450 shock and forks fit the 426? I've got access to some aftermarket shock and forks for an '03 450 and want to know at what year did Yamaha change the suspension in the YZ. Thanks

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Every year they change the suspension.

02 is the first year of that swingarm, ran to 05.

Forks 03 was the last year of the 46mm. 04 is a single chamber 48mm, then 05 is the Twin chamber AOSS forks, then 06-07 is the TC SSS forks

Dont bother upgrading to 03 parts. You would be better off with a revalve at both ends and then if you want better turning then look into on the 02 something like the storm link. 00-01 would be the Zipty Magic link.

• Goosedog

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:43 PM

So if my swingarm is the same up until an '05 and the 46mm forks stayed until '03, then I can use the '03 450 suspension right? BTW what I'm looking at is all Ohlins, not more stock parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goosedog

Posted October 27, 2006 - 10:51 AM

Can anybody answer my question having done this swap. I can't get a clear answer from Yamaha or Ohlins????????????????????

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:07 PM

The shock should fit without a problem.

As for the forks, the thing that I am not certain of is whether the steerting stem on the '02 is the same as the '03 or not. I think it is, but I could be mistaken. If it is the same, or if the Ohlins forks fit the stock triple clamps, then they will work. If the stems differ, it's still possible that the stem from an '02 YZ426 could be installed in the Ohlins clamp. If the forks were made to be used with OEM clamps, then they will fit into your '02 clamps just fine.

• Goosedog

Posted October 27, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks grayracer :mad:

• eardragger733

Posted October 29, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Can anybody answer my question having done this swap. I can't get a clear answer from Yamaha or Ohlins????????????????????

i told you i will check the spec sheets to see what exactly the difference is. every time i have a free minute Jerry keeps trying to teach me something. whats that all about!!!!! anyway tomorrow A.M. should be slow enough for me to check.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.