My fix result after left side cover disaster!

3 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_MN

Posted October 26, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input on the left side cover problem:worthy: Mine cracked last week after a simple tip over while parked in the garage. A special tanks to "TDC71" for the advice on removing the cover. The crack did not look that bad at first from the outside view. Once the cover was removed the crack was actually 1 long one about 2" long with several smaller cracks feeding off of it. I pounded the cracks back down flush & then dremeled a V into the front crack to give the JB something to grip to, I also ran some JB onto the inside of the cover to cover the damaged area. I decided to use Fiberglass cloth & Gel type resin to strengthen the cover for future damage prevention. I ran a 1" piece along the bottom side & 3 layers on the front of the lower cover. I have some pictures of what it ended up looking like in my garage "XR650L_MN. Still needs a little TLC as far as sanding & paint go but this is the general idea. I still think that Honda should try & improve upon this area to get rid of the one bad down fall.

Thanks again,
Mike
XR650L_MN

• COAL RUN

Posted October 26, 2006 - 11:56 AM

I can not seem to the "my garage" since the update. But I would like to see how it came out

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_MN

Posted October 26, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I can not seem to the "my garage" since the update. But I would like to see how it came out

It should be there if I did it right. Try XR650L_MN

• TDC71

Posted October 26, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Just read you'r post. Glad it went smooth and i saw your picture of ur bike, really nice looking and clean:applause:

Todd:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.