My forks are not leaking but WTF

15 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:25 AM

I do not remember my showa forks doing this last year. After having my bike tied down (07 450), when I throw it on the stand there are rings consisting of a TINY bit of fork oil. Is this slight "weap" just a kayaba thing......?

I like wiping off my sliders, and keeping my dust seal edges clean, and just noticed it

THANKS

• Ga426owner

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I do not remember my showa forks doing this last year. After having my bike tied down (07 450), when I throw it on the stand there are rings consisting of a TINY bit of fork oil. Is this slight "weap" just a kayaba thing......?

I like wiping off my sliders, and keeping my dust seal edges clean, and just noticed it

THANKS

I had the same crap with my new 06.....swap the seals when you service the forks.....mine only got worse.....

• 02YZ426

Posted October 26, 2006 - 02:08 PM

My 06 forks have leaked like a tap since I bought the bike... 2 rebuilds this summer. I think the Yamaha seals must be junk. I haven't had a chance yet, but I am going to rebuild them again... this time with factory connection seals. Hopfully they will last longer. If your only having little rings now, they will be puddles in no time.

• Reyndogg

Posted October 26, 2006 - 02:16 PM

i had a bad string of luck with fork seals for a while on my 06 too. I changed the stockers out at 4hrs when i got the forks revalved and changed springs, too.

• 700MX

Posted October 26, 2006 - 03:33 PM

i had a bad string of luck with fork seals for a while on my 06 too. I changed the stockers out at 4hrs when i got the forks revalved and changed springs, too.

What seals did you put in? did they last?

• Reyndogg

Posted October 26, 2006 - 03:37 PM

i dont know what brand they are, sorry. the pro-action suspension guy put them in for me.

• 700MX

Posted October 26, 2006 - 03:45 PM

i dont know what brand they are, sorry. the pro-action suspension guy put them in for me.

Did they last the rest of the season?

• kyle450rider

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Is it bad seals or are they just getting dirty.I am thinking about getting some seal savers for my bike if i can find some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Is it bad seals or are they just getting dirty.I am thinking about getting some seal savers for my bike if i can find some.

I think mostly getting dirty. But it seems as though the dust covers and seals are not as tight a fit as they could be... thus making it easier to leak. I heard Yamaha did this to reduce the "stiction" in the forks. Might have been a compermise. The new seals I ordered from factory connection, said "updated" seals.. so maybe they are a tighter fit.

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:53 PM

This cracks me up! You all think "yamaha" seals blah blah blah. Well most of the seals on the market that are factory replacement are made by NOK. Oh and the Yamaha ones are also. Same seals!

The only different seals out there on the market are the triple lip seals like the MSRs or the thicker seals with thinner washers like the Factory connection ones.

I would suggest you replace the wipers along with the seals. Also after your first ride you should replace all the fork oil. Factory gets pretty sloppy on the amount of oil used in the forks. Thus after break in (first ride) change the fluid and set the oil level correctly! The TCs forks are VERY senstive to oil levels.

• 700MX

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:53 PM

The only different seals out there on the market are the triple lip seals like the MSRs or the thicker seals with thinner washers like the Factory connection ones.

Has anyone tried the MSR, or FC......did they last?

• Reyndogg

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Did they last the rest of the season?

I had just picked up some moose air bleeders and remember hearing never to bleed the air w/o the bike being off the ground, so i was following that advice. i remember one of the kids out at the track was pushing them in and said he heard air...unfortunately, he told me about it after i had been out for a nice long moto...I think that caused one to go out.

So far, the 2nd set have been fine for a good while.

now i probably jinxed it :mad:

• steve_97060

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:16 PM

when you loosen the screw to bleed the air, should you actually hear air escape? I have done it numerous times on mine and my sons and I have yet to hear anything...

• Ga426owner

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:38 AM

These are the best fork seals that I have found....

http://www.synergyseals.com/

or these:
http://www.ridegear....ha/Suzuki_.html

• yami racer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 08:36 AM

Factory connection seals in May and not a problem since....

• Butta

Posted October 27, 2006 - 10:16 AM

I've had zero issues with my stock '05 seals (68 hours....yes, Ineed to have the oil changed, but the seals haven't ever been a problem)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.