Paper vs. Steel oil filter

13 replies to this topic
  • tmoney12

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone have any experiance with the steel oil filters? Are they worth the money? Stock yamaha paper filters are $10 or more. I have an 06' wr 450 and want the best filtration possible. If anybody has some good information, it would be appreciated. I have searched but found nothing that useful.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Scroll down to read about SS oilfilters.
They work a treat and pay for themselves in no time at all. Well worth it.

• tmoney12

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply! I have read those same FAQ on another site that makes the filters for scott. I just wanted some real world experiance with the product.

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:27 AM

I have heard that paper is a better filter though.I use the K&N steel ones though on my bike I just blow it out with Air after washing good to go.

• tmoney12

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:55 AM

I thought that paper elements were better filters, but i just wanted to make sure.

• Asgeir

Posted October 26, 2006 - 02:44 PM

I prefer paper, they stop the fine material in the oil better than steel filters.

• Chasejj

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I prefer paper, they stop the fine material in the oil better than steel filters.

I've used both and have grown to prefer paper.
I never really felt comfortable with any of the cleaning methods used on the SS ones. I think the only way I would is if I bought an expensive hydrosonic cleaner like dentists use.
But who needs that.
I went back to paper and found it much faster(no cleaning and drying). Costs of paper filters can be reduced by going to aftermarket brands rather than OEM. The peace of mind knowing that I didn't just put a filter back in that was dirty or had solvent on it is priceless.
The SS ones have issues with keeping the rubber gaskets attached as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I agree with the guys using the paper type, more efficient filtration.

• 25year2stroker

Posted October 28, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Yamaha dealer $13.99

TT store $3.55

Toss'em and ride:excuseme:

• farkawi

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:32 PM

This topic has been beaten to death....but I still put my 2 cents in for the ss filter which works well and flows best in cold start situations.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 29, 2006 - 05:04 AM

Just to dispell some myths.......

How does this type of filtration compare to paper filters? We sent three common brands of paper filter material off to have them tested for the smallest and largest sized particles that would pass through the material. We sent the material off with no names, just numbers for identification so the lab wouldn’t have any idea who’s filter they were testing. The results we got back showed that the smallest particle the three would catch ranged between 9 and 20 microns. The LARGEST particle the three would allow to pass through the material ranged from 56 to 300+ microns. Paper filters are rated on an average of what they will let pass, so each of these three would each be rated at numbers that are somewhere between their individual extremes. The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is rated at an absolute 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material. This “absolute” rating is important because this type of filter material is also used in medical applications like blood filtration. Bottom line is paper is rated differently than the stainless cloth (average vs. absolute), and either one works to filter stuff out of your oil. Personally I like the idea of keeping the big stuff out of the engine.

Let it be known that a A white blood cell is about 25 microns and the smallest we can see is about 40 microns!

• imj75

Posted November 08, 2006 - 12:12 AM

Is there any way of increasing my WR426's oil capacity with some sort of external oil reservoir to increase distances between oil changes?
I am thinking of going on a 1200km trip which equates to 3-4 oil changes.
If I up the oil capacity I might get this down to 1 or hopefully none during the trip.

• MountainMax

Posted November 08, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I too was thinking of the long haul using the steel one would be cheaper, then I bought a box of aftermarked filters CHEAP! good for years now.

• waynus

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Just to dispell some myths.......

Let it be known that a A white blood cell is about 25 microns and the smallest we can see is about 40 microns!

Another thread has got me thinking and reading re ss filters.

I notice that Scotts sent 3 paper filters for testing. I would have been convinced that the SS filter was the way to go had they also sent their filter for testing and it stopped anything over 35 microns going through. Just to say that it is rated at 35 microns isn't sufficient in my eyes, it has after all gone through a manufacturing process. Anyone know any different?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.