Best Fuel tanks ???

22 replies to this topic
  • Blade Man

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:08 AM

I need to put a desert tank on my 06 XR650R and was wondering which tank is best. The clark 4.3 seems to be a little cheaper but is it as good as the IMS tanks?
Do they fit well?
Let me know what you think. Would like to get one this week or next.

Any input will help. Thanks in advance.

• Zapp22

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:53 AM

I need to put a desert tank on my 06 XR650R and was wondering which tank is best. The clark 4.3 seems to be a little cheaper but is it as good as the IMS tanks?
Do they fit well?
Let me know what you think. Would like to get one this week or next.

Any input will help. Thanks in advance.

:mad:
me too.... lurking for help

• NavyNuke

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:00 AM

gotta ask yourself how much more tank do you want??? 3 or 4 gallons, 6 gallons ect? Then go from there, some companys only make some sizes.

• Zapp22

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:05 AM

the 4's would be ok with me, if I can get the pig tuned well enough to approach 40mpg! right now I'm sitting at about 31 and not sure which way to go on jetting. it has a nice, linear pull with just a hint of fade at the top end, but I hear from others that when its all kosher, they get about 40mpg, depending....

• Mudshark

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:07 AM

I've just been through this ordeal....
The Clarke's fit and finish are WAY better than the IMS. In fact the Clarke
looks like an OEM tank.
The IMS has very poor finish and "so so" fit. However it depends on what you
want to use the bike for.
The IMS is tougher than the Clarke and will withstand a direct hit from rocks
and such better than the Clarke.
It is also narrower between the legs, offering a more MX feel to the bike.
That being said, I still went with the Clarke, it just looked and fit so much better.
I had a whole post with pics on both these tanks.... I can't seem to find it though.

• eastreich

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I agree with mudshark completely. I have been running the IMS and my riding partner has the Clarke. The IMS is much narrower; the Clarke has a noticable bulge right at the seat/tank junction and is wider through the midsection as well, but has a much better fit and finish.

To get my IMS to fit right, I had to oval out the holes on my fuel tank mounting brackets (the plastic ones between the frame mounts and the bottom of the tank). I kept breaking mounts as the IMS tank inserts were a little wide for the stock pattern. I plan to upgrade to the billet XR's Only mounts in the near future to prevent this in the future.

In the end, if you are going to race, get the IMS. If you are going to trail ride / dual sport, go with the Clarke.

• Desertskyy

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Not the dreaded "Which tank is best" question.

I am using the 4.6 gal IMS tank with absolutely no problems. I know of 4 other 650R riders using the same tank with no problems. IMS has given me good customer service in the past. Overall, I would just pick one

• HawkGT

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I've got the larger IMS tank too and it fits just fine--everything lines up as it should. Mine will actually hold 5 gallons. I guess they "relax" a bit over time.

• thumpin hard

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:41 PM

i will tell you i have dumped my 650 more than once with a clarke 4.7..i was afraid it would get trashed,but i only has some very minor scratches and i am glad for the extra size. i ride pretty hard in the dirt.

• Mojave Monster

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I too have the IMS 4.6... I only use it when I need the extra range otherwise I stick with the stock tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • azfabguy

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:32 PM

ims 4.6 all the way

• hypersthenos

Posted October 26, 2006 - 11:29 PM

I too have the IMS 4.6 & am pleased. One attribute not yet mentioned is how well it accomodates turn signals at full lock. I have a BD DSK & it seems like the two were designed in conjunction. The color is a perfect match & it just looks business in my opinion.

• TARFELE

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:36 AM

I have no experience with IMS but on an 01 XR I had I sold the bike after only 4000 miles with a Clarke on it. About two weeks after I sold it the guy called me and told me that a seem under the tank was leaking. He called Clarke and told them the problem and they sent him a new tank with no questions asked. From what I know they stand behind their product 100%. As far as why did the tank leak I have no clue and neither did they. They said it was a rare incident.

As far as the difference between a Clarke and IMS taking a hit from a rock. I have never seen a Clarke damaged from a rock.

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:59 AM

I too have the 4.7 Clarke on my 650, and am very satisfied with the product. Mounting was easy, and straight forward. Product durability is solid.

I'm planning on attempting to ironman the Baja 1000 within the next 1-3 years, and because of this, I've begun pushing myself really REALLY hard on my 650L, and as a result of this, I crash frequently. There is JUST enough "play" in the mounting setup that it doesn't break anything, but not enough play that it feels unsafe, or unsteady.

My friend has the IMS, and had to do some modification to get it to fit correctly. He says he's happy with his, other than the one leak it sprung, but he says he crashed pretty hard onto a sharp rock, and it was a freak accident, not a product defect.

Get whichever one is cheaper. My vote is for Clarke, and that's what my dealer mechanic buddies guys run too.

• Troy_Bell

Posted October 27, 2006 - 05:54 AM

IMS . . .:mad: I'm 0 for 2 on IMS. The only two IMS tanks I've dealt with both had mounting issues. One was at the petcock; it wouldn't seal.

Clarke . . .:mad: I'm 3 for 3 on Clarke. Each mounted up perfectly with no issues.

I know there are many people out there who have zero problems with their IMS tanks. It just seems strange that out of 5 tanks, only the 3 Clarkes were fine. For this reason, I lean towards them.

• painkilla

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:18 PM

i was very impressed with my clark tank, and without a doubt, buy another one

• CTXr650L

Posted October 27, 2006 - 04:44 PM

I have an IMS 4.0 on my 650L, went on easy and has been trouble free so far. i was thinking of the acerbis 6.0 but it only came in white :-/

• R1-xr650-400

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I have an IMS 4.0 on my 650L, went on easy and has been trouble free so far. i was thinking of the acerbis 6.0 but it only came in white :-/

those lying sons of bitches.

They make a 6.0 gallon for the 650L?

I bought my 4.7 Clarke being under the impression that it had the most storage I could get...a 6.0 gallon would have saved me a LOOOOT of trouble crossing the desert in Baja from coast to coast, as well as El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua where I went sight seeing, and ran out of gas due to lack of stations ;(

• Kenaroo

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:36 PM

I went the the Acerbis 6 gallon sahara tank.. fit is real good. feel very narrow and great while standing in attack position.. a little wide (but doesn't bother me) while sitting down in tight trails.

best thing is I can get 220 miles out of a tank.. while most of my buddies are wondering if they can make it... I know I can.

• weskc35k

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I wonder ,what would Honda use?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.