2000 XR650R carb question

5 replies to this topic
  • 55spy

Posted October 25, 2006 - 05:40 PM

i'm trying to help my buddy out and finish putting his XR650R in supermoto trim.

Here's the carb question

Is it a fuel screw or an air screw on the Keihin PE carb? It's got pop on decel suggesting lean but it'll kick over and start with no choke in 40 degree weather. It could easily be lean....I haven't pulled the pilot jet out to look and see what's in it or pulled th eplug yet.

but I wanted to know if I am adding air or fuel when I back out the screw.

• snaggleXR650

Posted October 25, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Thumpers have a fuel screw. Unscrewing, lefty loosy, = more fuel. If the bike will start with no choke in 40 degree weather then the pilot jet is RICH. Cold air has ALOT of oxygen, and his pilot jet has PLENTY of fuel flowing to match the extra O2 in the cold air.

Here is a test, close the fuel screw slowly while the bike is at temp and idling. The bike should start to idle bad at around 1.5 turns out. If the bike is still running at .5 turns out, or when the fuel screw is closed, that means the pilot jet is to big (rich). With the usual airbox/exhaust mods and full uncorking of the intake boot, the pilot should be ~65s.

• eastreich

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:37 AM

One of the reasons for the pop on decel is can be due to the air cutoff circuit on the stock PE carb. The mechanism behind this un-marvel of technology , and how to correct it is best described here:

http://www.xr650r.bo...r_caruretor.htm

I did this mod when I still had the stock PE carb on my 650 and it works very well. :mad:

Or you can just drop kick you carb to the curb and upgrade to an accelerator pump carb such as an Edelbrock. I have a Keihin FCR41. It was a pain to get fitted correctly, but I absolutely love it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 55spy

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:33 PM

snaggle, the pilot was a 65S. could not get over the pop on decel with any setting. The fuel screw setting was about 2 turns out for smoothe idle. So I picked up a 65 (nonS), 68 and 70 to test out and no getting rid of the pop. at any setting. tried the air hole blockoff as sugested no change. There is no smog qweep on the bike and I'm getting frustrated.

I can't believe I need to go leaner than stock. but that is next I guess.

• HawkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:49 PM

You might have an air leak somewhere between the carb and the engine or an exhaust leak. Either could cause popping on decel regardless of pilot circuit settings.

BTW, a quick way to distinguish an air screw from a fuel screw is to note its location on the carb. Fuel screws are on the engine side of the carb while air screws are on the air filter side (in other words--in front of or behind the slide). And like already mentioned, nearly all four stroke carbs have fuel screws while two strokes generally have air screws.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:12 AM

could not get over the pop on decel with any setting. I can't believe I need to go leaner than stock. but that is next I guess.

I have a Edelbrock pumper and have dialed it very close to optimum. I still get a mild popping on decel. My understanding is some mild popping is normal in an R that's dialed in. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).

To check whether or not you've got your mixture dialed in correctly, I'd put more emphasis on having proper plug color than I would on anything else. Check for a good ash-gray color after at least a 30-min ride.

Take heart, friend. I know you're frustrsted, the good news here is the R's Kehin is not a bad carb. Once you get that baby dialed in its done and you will start grinning again

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.