WR and ICO Checkmate

8 replies to this topic
  • Chasejj

Posted October 25, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I am switching from Orange to Blue this year and need to remove the stock computer and fit my ICO checkmate.

Surely some of you run ICO pickups. How are you running the cable to the fork axle area (i.e. KTM has a tapped hole precisely in line with the rotor bolts just made for this). I don't suppose it is as easy as this on the WR's?:mad:

• The_Blue_One

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:02 PM

I used their generic aluminum bracket on the axle pinch bolts. I don't have a shot of it mounted.Hopefully this will give a good idea. I've had it this way for 3 or 4years now.

Posted Image

• Chasejj

Posted October 26, 2006 - 10:10 AM

I used their generic aluminum bracket on the axle pinch bolts. I don't have a shot of it mounted.Hopefully this will give a good idea. I've had it this way for 3 or 4years now.

Posted Image

Thanks.Has anyone done any drilling and tapping in the fork leg to do this.

• Beejay

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Off the topic here but it's not often the switch is from orange to blue, normally the other way around, any particular reason?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • handlebar

Posted October 28, 2006 - 02:45 PM

Off the topic here but it's not often the switch is from orange to blue, normally the other way around, any particular reason?

I bought blue because KTM suspension can be a nightmare.i did nothing but work on the stuff.it was(05)harsh even after revalves.I still have myEXC300 but prefer the WR suspension myself.White Power:thumbsdn: in 05 anyway

• Chasejj

Posted October 28, 2006 - 04:27 PM

I bought blue because KTM suspension can be a nightmare.i did nothing but work on the stuff.it was(05)harsh even after revalves.I still have myEXC300 but prefer the WR suspension myself.White Power:thumbsdn: in 05 anyway

I just needed a new bike this year and when you look at what's out there the new 07 WR looks to the best ride going. I have to many concerns about reliability with the RED bikes. :mad:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 28, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I want to make it clear that I really like KTMs.... But I bought a 04 300 and had the worst time trying to make the suspension work for me.. The motor was fantastic (even with the three different oil leaks I had in one month) KTM was great and fixed them all.. but the WP suspension is very different that what I'm used to. I found myself missing my old, "top heavy" and boring blue machines with the KYB suspenders.. No doubt that KTMs are the enduro machines of choice, David Knight and Juha choose KTM and win so they must great but my KTM didn't turn out the way I thought it would... Orange to blue, it happens...

Posted Image

• pkcof

Posted October 28, 2006 - 11:20 PM

i must admit that i also like the orange breed of bike. The 300exc, 450exc and 525exc are as close to cutting edge enduro mounts as it gets (must add the Husky TE450 and Husaberg FE450 and FE550 to that list as well) - having said that, the Yamaha is so hard to fault across the spectrum that it just makes it over the line ahead of these fine machines as a complete package deal to suit the masses ... sorry to hijack this thread, it's just that i needed to reinforce this point ...

• scott_h

Posted October 29, 2006 - 12:05 PM

Thanks.Has anyone done any drilling and tapping in the fork leg to do this.

Did mine the same way and haven't had any problems in several years. The mount is from ICO. All you need to do is match drill the mount to pickup the front axle/fork pinch bolts and put about 30 degree bend in it to clear the fork leg. No drilling and tapping needed to the fork.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.