I hate old bikes!

43 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted October 27, 2006 - 12:55 PM

Cleonard whats this mean, "You wouldn't want the tranny to gernade after you redo the top end." Did you mean grenade!

I want my spellcheck back!!

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 02:07 PM

I miss the spellcheck too! cleonard did not mean to bust your chops! You generally give very good answers, with plenty of detail verifying, your experience with the BRP :mad:

• cleonard

Posted October 27, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I miss the spellcheck too! cleonard did not mean to bust your chops! You generally give very good answers, with plenty of detail verifying, your experience with the BRP :mad:

Thanks. I've always thought the best way to find out what you don't know, or what you think you know is to open your mouth. Thumpertalk is awesome for finding things out.:mad:

I need to split the cases on my pig and this thread is making me worried...:mad:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Why are you worried about splitting cases? Honda designed it so any 12 year old japanese could do it, I know your smarter than a japanese kid!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Why are you worried about splitting cases? Honda designed it so any 12 year old japanese could do it, I know your smarter than a japanese kid!

Yeah well I guess 40yr old japs are not included in that one!:mad:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 03:13 PM

No way, 40 year old japanese only care about geisha's and sushi, oh yeah saki. They leave the motor building to the kids, their hands are smaller and they are able to focus without the distractions of being adult. :mad:
Oh how is your project coming, Bill, like your pipe, hows it sound? is it loud? only helicoil what you absolutely have to!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Well finally decided tonite to go with 101mm piston kit from XR's Only on this rebuild adventure!:mad: So I guess I'll be into this bike deep before I know it!:mad: I guess as soon as I get my piston kit I drop off the cylinder to get bored out to match the kit.:mad:
Bill

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Did you go with the wiseco or the JE piston? what compression the 10.5:1?
have you started the bike since you put the pipe on? what do you think about it?

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Did you go with the wiseco or the JE piston? what compression the 10.5:1?
have you started the bike since you put the pipe on? what do you think about it?

No I have not started the bike:banghead: :foul: :banana: as I said in this thread I think:crazy: :mad: I really wished I did!:ride: . Now I have a dam mail thief to tend with in my niegborhood!!!!:worthy: :D I am missing to packages valued at about $75.00!:foul::mad: I am going to stick with UPS!!!!:mad:
Bill

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Why Bill thats a federal crime call the FBI, Or better yet take a dump in a big box and set it by the mailbox see who will be getting a suprise, oh, put a buch of them packing penuts in first, you know how they go all over the place when you open a package.
Whats the world coming to, cant even get your mail, or give a guy a hard time cause he asks the same question over,and over. without him making threats and name calling> texasappraiser.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Lol!!!!!!

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 06:25 PM

If you liked that one I have a lot more you can buy the dvd with step by step instructions for $19.99 and for a limited time we are giving free props for the acts of righteousness as we call them. :mad:

• pearblossomal

Posted October 28, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Helicoil all of the 6mm holes and the 8mm (XR500R) or 9mm (XR600R) head bolt holes in the cylinder, don't know the size on an XL600R. Obviously the bad hole you've got in the case also.

It is a bad time to find out three of your cam cover bolts won't pull over 50 in. lbs is after you have the head torqued down, cam installed, etc. etc. Instead of tearing it down and fixing the three holes, what you will do is say "screw it" and finish putting it back together and live with a bike that has oil oozing. Or maybe you tear it back down and, because you want to do as little as possible, you fix the three bad holes and put it back together. But now the additional torque cycle has exceeded the life on two other holes and now they won't torque up.

Back in the day when Al Baker was still around, XR's Only did this all the time. It's your bike and your time, do as you see fit.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I plan to bullet proof this motor, I am going to fix the all and I ordered new bolts from Honda as well to eliminate the strecthed factor.
Bill

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 28, 2006 - 03:24 PM

And here is my mechanics helper on this misadventure!!!!! He is great at losing my bolts, washers, nuts, anything that can be batted around or carried! :mad: :mad:
http://i20.photobuck...GT/000_0680.jpg
http://i20.photobuck...GT/000_0678.jpg
Bill

• machman

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:18 PM

Frikken old bikes.

I've got a 93 XR650L that I just got hopped up with Kibblewhite valves, 10.5:1 piston, cam, pumper, etc.

I'm just trying to put it back together and two of the frikken cylinder bolts won't torque up. GD flucking sh!t...

I was hoping to get this buttoned up today, now I'm waiting until Monday to go to the machine shop...

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:50 PM

WOW, where did you dig this thread out of?

When you say you have two cyl, bolts that wont torque up... Are they dry? If there is oil on them, you may end up over torqueing them.

• brantc

Posted February 23, 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yep, I decided to take a look at my just bought 87 Xl600 because it seemed to be running a little hot. So I took the gas tank off and then I notice the frame was bent....

So I said well it wouldnt be too hard to replace the frame.

So I went and bought a 87 XR600 frame. Oops...

Now I need to cut the sub section off and swap themmmm...

And I need to modify the back wheel or get a different backing plate...

All this for 2 more inches of travel?

Its really going to be custom..... And I was just riding it, now its:banghead: bare to the frame.:smirk:

• slepe67

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Why is it the simplest tasks turn into a major overhaul!!!!!::smirk: ***: :ride: :) Anyways I was just going to replace the valve cover gasket and both decompression lever seals and thats when I find a stripped bolt hole in the motor the only one that goes through the valve cover through the head to the cylinder.:ride: Well I guess since I have to tear it down I might as well rebuild it, piston,rings, cam chain & tensioner, gaskets & seals, lap the valves in again, and finally repair the broken footpeg mount!
Bill

I'll gladly work on an old dirt bike over an old Harley (or ANY Harley) ANY DAY! Dirt bikes are EASY to fix! A bad starter led to battery, solenoid, rewire entire bike, brakes, stator, regulator, plugs, coil, etc etc. It wasn't that I WANTED to do this, it was because old bikes that arent maintained, are like onions. Peel a layer away, and what do you find? More stuff to fix. keep your head up, it'll pay off. You might pull all your hair out, but, thank the stars it's not an old shovelhead, because THEN, you also get to pay tons extra, simply because it's a HARLEY!

• Motosprtman

Posted February 28, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Being as how I work on the old XL's all of the time - well some of the time, I hear your plights of working on the old bikes. Allthough I find it intriquing tearing one down and seeing what was done to it and also what caused it to stop running. Latest case is an XR250R motor 1982 version. Someone did a top end and installed a new 0.20 piston and rings and reassembled, only to have the tang that holds the cam chain tensioner spring in place break off - resulting in no to very low tension and they gave up. Must of been a noisy running motor. Also had a stuck valve in one of the guides, which probably put excessive pressure on the tensioner mechanism and cuased the failure. That guide also had a crack in it. So I will replace the guide, new valves, and cam chain tensioner and reassemble into a running motor, not too awful expensive and bike bandit and Ohio direct line Honda parts - are the best I have found in getting NOS parts.
AS for leaks and broken studs screws, oh boy I have seen I think almost every possible scenario of backyard mechanics at work in a vain attempt at keeping them running, poorly installed helicoils, snapped off studs, welded in studs, warped covers, leaky carbs, you name it. At some point in time, I ask myself is this part salvage-able? or not, sometimes - you end up tossing what seems a good part and end up looking for a better one on fleab bay and or rthe web, taking your chances that the next part will be better, or at least rebuildable. I have developed a keen eye for that, and I read the parts description. location and shipping costs closesly. Then ... bet on it. Sometimes I know I pay way too much, but that is the nature of the beast in dealing with old bikes. It is a painstakingly slow process if you want it right - as built. Nothing is more frustraing than for example to install a side cover, new gasket etc, only to have a leak! why! new screws tightened securely etc, the only thing left being that the case and or cover has an irregular spot, caused by prying screwdriver blades from the past and or heat / warping etc. It's a hard and frustrating hobby.
New bikes. Just great! dependable, engineering is better, everything is better than 36 years ago - (1972 XL250) I love riding and maintaining my new honda's they don't ask for more than clean filters and fresh oil, change the plug to make you feel better. Even my new HD is more like a car than a bike. EFI, etc, touch the start button after it sitting for nearly a month and it pops to life immediately.
Old Bikes are what they are. Often in need of help, in abundance, but the reward of bringing them back to life to me is awesome. I am always in search of an old bike... saw an SL-100 in craigslist yesterday, hammered. Probably a better parts bike, but still I wonder what it would take to bring it back to the way it was.......

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.