I hate old bikes!

43 replies to this topic
  • LandSharkGT

Posted October 25, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Why is it the simplest tasks turn into a major overhaul!!!!!::mad: &%$#@!: :mad: :mad: Anyways I was just going to replace the valve cover gasket and both decompression lever seals and thats when I find a stripped bolt hole in the motor the only one that goes through the valve cover through the head to the cylinder.:worthy: Well I guess since I have to tear it down I might as well rebuild it, piston,rings, cam chain & tensioner, gaskets & seals, lap the valves in again, and finally repair the broken footpeg mount!
Bill

• NavyNuke

Posted October 25, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I'm with you, my carb keeps leaking, think I need all new seals. it leaked a little when I got it, then I tore it out, cleaned it, lubed it, put it back in, put gas to it, and pisses everywhere fast......

Argh

• frankstr

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Some things can turn into a Pandoras Box before we know it, Sometimes..
Take care putting her together....:mad:

• simon@vic

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:52 PM

im a mechanic. i really really really hate old bikes!!!

people want to pay less because they have less $$$.
and it is always more time and parts!!!!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Yep, Well after all is said and done I'll be into this bike for aq kool $2500.00 for the bike and all the parts! I am definitely looking for a new used XR650L Soon!
Bill

• pearblossomal

Posted October 25, 2006 - 08:36 PM

You were probably already going to do it but I'll offer this advice anyway. Those threaded holes in the RFVC head and cylinder were notorious for having threads pulled out when reassembling. Considering the age of your bike I'm surprised you only had one hole that wouldn't torque up.
If you're going to bite the bullet and tear it down to repair the hole then at least make sure you don't have the problem with some other hole when all is re-assembled and doing final torque.
Make sure you have all of the helicoil sizes for the head and cylinder and do it right. After you have it back together, you'll be thankful that the cam cover doesn't leak or worse, like one of the head bolts pulling out of the cylinder when running a high compression piston and wrapping around the cam chain thus snapping the cam chain, sprocket, cam, etc. Don't ask how I may know.

• KShow

Posted October 25, 2006 - 08:45 PM

*DISCLAIMER in spite of the following, I am actually a somewhat competent mechanic, been building and customizing snowmobiles for the last few years, this is my first time working on thumper bike.

yeah,, I know the feeling,, bought an 01 650r a while back,, joined the forum,, and since it was running rich (previous owner was low altitude) I wanted pull the carb and check the jet sizes. Well I went to remove the pilot jet and one of the tabs cracked off. OK,, no problem,, just EZ out the jet and replace it with the proper size,, all fine and good untill I tighten the ezout, thinking the jet is starting to turn out,,, craaaccckkk. stock carb splits into more pieces than it was designed to. :mad: Good thing was that when I told my wife the price of a stock replacement carburetor, she didnt mind me driving over to XRs Only and buying a Mikuni pumper. :mad:

Looking back I should have taken the carb to the "complete motorcycle machine shop" just down the street. Would have been cheaper,, but then I wouldnt have the pumper. So I guess the moral of the story is,, if you want something better,, youve got to break what youve got.
Tune in next time when I'll tell you how I used a 2" holesaw to ruin a HRC exhaust tip.......:mad:

• NavyNuke

Posted October 25, 2006 - 09:43 PM

I'm single, so no asking the wife for money for it, just check the balance in my account, and go for it. Then eat ramen for a couple more weeks. I should buy that stuff by the pallet!!

But I havn't given up yet, the rubber seals on the carb all seem dried up, so I'll replace the seals and see if that helps, and also figure out where its leaking from to limit the places a bit. I was too tired/frustrated/high on gas fumes to do it before.

• hypersthenos

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:49 PM

Yep, with used bikes sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. I've had good & bad experiences. Then again I've had major problems with new bikes too. Bought a KTM back in the early 90's. BAD idea! 2 happiest days of ownership were the day I bought it & the day I sold it.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:02 PM

UPDATE!!!!!:ride: I now have 1 stuck cylinder bolt that broke the head off at the top of the bolt. The one that is on the left rear by the countershaft. Well seems the head bolt was almost stuck in same corner too, I am wondering if that exhaust box on the left side of the motor is getting these bolts too hot and heat siezing them?:banana::mad: I am going to helicoil all the holes for the valve cover and I guess I am going to have to do so on one of the cylinder bolt holes as well. It seems I might have to cut it off flush with the block and drill the rest out and tap it.:foul: Well on one hand it'll be all fresh!:D Any better ideas on removing a stuck bolt?:mad: :foul: :mad: I am open to suggestions other than remove gas cap and ride a new bike under it!:worthy: :foul:
Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NavyNuke

Posted October 26, 2006 - 12:22 AM

pb blaster a bit, let sit overnight, tap bolt with hammer/punch lightly to break free any stuck spots.

Pull the motor out, if it snapped, lift the head ect. off so you can get to the shank of the bolt and attack it with vice grips, after tapping/pb blaster or sea foam ect.

if need be, tap it lightly while trying to turn it with vice grips.

absolute last resort is to cut/drill the hole.

• pearblossomal

Posted October 26, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Don't cut any more of the shank off, that's all you have to work with. Put some penetrating oil around the base and let it sit overnight. Play with vise grips after putting the oil on, sometimes the shank will turn a little in a CW direction which might allow oil to penetrate the seized threads better. After letting the oil sit get as many pairs of vise grips that you can get to clamp on the shank and push as one, a buddy helps. If that doesn't work what I've done is get a nut slightly larger in diameter than the shank, push/turn it down the shank a quarter inch or so and weld it to the shank.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:05 AM

I have the motor sitting on the work bench, just waiting for the penetrating oil to do its job. I have stud removal tool I will try that first then the vise grips, the the nut welded on the shaft.
Thanx,
Bill

• bork

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:54 PM

I'm feelin for ya!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Well Update!:mad: I got the stud out with the stud removal tool, but now I have to do helicoil in that hole!Should I helicoil all four(4) cylinder bolt holes???:mad: :mad: And now I need to find a stator cover as I broke off the clutch perch!:ride: If wernt for bad luck,I'd have no luck!:worthy: :banana: I ordered all my seals and gaskets today, and I'll get my piston and rings kit from Wiesco this week!
Bill

• cleonard

Posted October 27, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Well Update!:mad: I got the stud out with the stud removal tool, but now I have to do helicoil in that hole!Should I helicoil all four(4) cylinder bolt holes???:mad: :mad: And now I need to find a stator cover as I broke off the clutch perch!:ride: If wernt for bad luck,I'd have no luck!:worthy: :banana: I ordered all my seals and gaskets today, and I'll get my piston and rings kit from Wiesco this week!
Bill

I would only helicoil if there is some indication of a problem. I know that since you have it apart you want to "do it right," but I would only replace what looks like it needs it. How many miles are on the odometer? I really doubt that you need a new piston. The pistons last a long time unless there was something to cause a problem. Same with the bore. Of course if you don't have the proper tools to measure everything it's impossible to tell. You can eye for .002 taper on the bore. If you have access to the tools, I'd measure everything and only replace what needs it.

With the luck that you have been having, I'd try and measure the piston to bore clearance if you get a new piston and bore job. If an inexperienced guy is doing the bore job they can get it wrong. Guess how I know.

For the cover look on ebay. I think that there is a XL600 being parted there right now. You should be able to get one for cheap.

Like you I learned the hard way about those little 6mm 7-9 ft-lbs torque bolts. It's the only helicoil kit that I have. You either need to get a torque wrench that can do those low torque values or develop the proper hand technique. I do it by holding the ratchet in the palm of my hand.

Have you looked into the crankcase to see what the tranny gears look like? You get a good view of the driving gears through the cylinder base. You wouldn't want the tranny to gernade after you redo the top end.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 27, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Cleonard whats this mean, "You wouldn't want the tranny to gernade after you redo the top end." Did you mean grenade!
Landshark, are you sure you wouldnt really rather have a Buick, I mean new Pig? Are you going up on comp. ratio? dont go too high, or you will be stalling it out on the slow stuff!!!

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 11:50 AM

Yeah I know! I think as far as piston kit I am going with 1mm maybe 2.5mm over from Wiesco most likely 1mm as this is not such a drastic change from stock.
Bill

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 27, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Bill

I would helicoil every single hole you can get to when the cylinder is off. My buddy had a XR500R a few years back and when he had the motor out to the Honda shop they told him he had a couple bad holes and they recommended on a bike that old doing em all so that it would not be a problem in the future. It saved him a lot of heartache.

• LandSharkGT

Posted October 27, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Thanx OldManTime for the info!!!!:mad: I will do so!!!!This way I can keep riding it for quite some time I hope.:mad:
Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.