Why Yamaha

55 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 28, 2006 - 07:22 AM

I'm not sure I would call myself a Yamaha loyalist. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and when I first rode my 98 WR400 I was in love. The bike truly made me a better rider. Since then I've slowly turned into a Yamaha fan.. I just think they've made the right decisions with the direction on their WR line up. I don't buy them because they're priced well, I buy them because I just like how the bike feels.. I've ridden most late model fourstrokes and still prefer the ride of the WR with its planted feel up front not to mention a rock solid valve train and top shelf suspension components.. I saw an 07 WR250F a couple of days ago and it looks like Yamaha hasn't let me down yet, they are beautiful bikes... Looks like I'm gonna wait til 08 for a new (hopefully street legal) WR. As happy as I am with the WR, the Aprillia has my eye wondering, a dealer just moved into town and I looked at them, good god they're beautiful....... So many bikes, so little time..... :mad:

• TuningFork426

Posted October 28, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Let me remind you who started the four stroke revolution ........................ it was...........YAMAHA :mad:

hoda was shating their pants in 1998-2001

• pkcof

Posted October 28, 2006 - 11:45 PM

I love my '05 WR450 - if only Yamaha would refine the suspension into the next generation, then it would be perfect

• Alley Cat

Posted October 29, 2006 - 05:11 AM

I love my '05 WR450 - if only Yamaha would refine the suspension into the next generation, then it would be perfect

Yeah, but it would still only suit the "target weight" people.........
My suspension needs to be modded no matter what bike I buy. :mad:

• farkawi

Posted October 29, 2006 - 08:33 AM

For me it is all about the best bang for my buck. This time it was the Yamaha WR 450. Price and a worthy dealer are my main two considerations.

• 300wby

Posted October 29, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I like others have said got my Yami because of the deal.
I would have bought the bike with the best deal and it just happened to be a Yami. The bikes are so incredibly similar it really doesnt matter. Except Yami's are tanks and everyone knows that.

• WildRide

Posted October 29, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Yamaha is the best value $ for $ in dirt bikes.
I like Honda street bikes & ATVs better though.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 29, 2006 - 07:01 PM

I got my 2 Yamaha's because of reliability first and foremost. They haven't let me down at all. I wanted a KTM 525exc, but the KTM 250exc-f was a bucket of snot at the time and didn't want to get one of those for the missus. That and the fact that two Yamaha's cost less than two KTM's.

I got my engine pulled apart at the moment for the first reshim at 5,000 kms (3100 miles) - one inlet has opened up a bit. All the valves are in great shape, none are cupped or leak solvent. I pulled the cylinder off as well, piston is still good and no scuffing of the bore. I can say that I am extremely happy at the state of the engine, and it gets a fair bit of a flogging too.

While I got it apart, I will be throwing in a set of hotcams and a JE 12.8-1 piston. May as well while I got it apart, right?

• max49

Posted October 29, 2006 - 07:31 PM

3 seasons and almost 200 MX racing hrs. on 04 YZ250F. Original valves and valve shims, once replaced ring and piston just for PM. All stock and still a holeshot monster. I hope my '07 450 is this reliable.
Want to get an 06 or 07 YZ250F but all these magazines are saying the Yammi has the tame novice engine as compared to the Honda and others. What's up with this? My 04 has a beast of an engine.

• temporarily_locked

Posted October 29, 2006 - 08:06 PM

because i started out on an 84(?) yz60, and never looked at any other brand sense. Even why my family bought my sister a quad, it had to be a yamaha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LimyWPom

Posted October 29, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I also decided on a WR after considering bang for the bucks and reviews in bike mags and opinions here on TT when I bought my 05. I must admit I was tempted with the 450x but so glad I went with blue especialy when the X's ability to weld it's gears together traveling in 5th gear between riding areas on flat gravel roads. There was pages of pissed off 450x owners here on TT running the recomended oil levels and having gearbox failures, and Honda not admiting a problem leaving owners with big bills. By contrast 06 yz 250 had some valve problems, Yamaha's response, recalled all bikes affected and rectifies the problem free of charge. Thats what will have me coming back to blue, that and they build great bikes.:mad:

• RSAthump

Posted October 30, 2006 - 11:07 AM

Ek stem saam met die Hilux Bakkie! They dont break, but they are the most refined out of the Jap clan. I've owned from their outboards to their quads. I ve raced their outboards as well. Great brand. Hoeveel japies hier?

• yz-dwg

Posted October 30, 2006 - 11:37 AM

I was torn betwixt the WR450 and the 450X but it all boiled down to reliability and durability, plus it is suposedly cheaper and easier to make the blue bike go faster, though i dont know why I would want it any faster, after the mods, my '06 WR450 rips-A

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted October 30, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I've been riding Yamaha's for over 30 years. First Yamaha was a 1970 CT175 and I rode that bike alot. Then had a 1972 RT360 and that bike was scary fast, then a 1983 XT550, then a 84 TT600 and now currently my awesome 2004 WR450, and man do I love that bike. Over 1000 miles and not one single problem! Yamaha's rule, period!!!!

• dobbo

Posted October 31, 2006 - 02:07 AM

:mad: :mad: My 450f comes with a free grin...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Beejay

Posted October 31, 2006 - 06:05 AM

Ek stem saam met die Hilux Bakkie! They dont break, but they are the most refined out of the Jap clan. I've owned from their outboards to their quads. I ve raced their outboards as well. Great brand. Hoeveel japies hier?

Net Boer en ek.

• boer

Posted November 05, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Net Boer en ek.

Is daar nie meer van ons nie??:mad:

• Tsk350

Posted November 05, 2006 - 10:11 AM

Just go into any small town with a bike shop and see what brands they are running. Honda and Yamaha are the two most popular bikes on the market. Now all you have to do is pick the best bike between the two brands and all in all the Yamaha wins hands down. And along those same lines if your in the middle of no where and you wreck and are in need of parts, 9 times out of 10 there is going to be a Yamaha dealer alot closer than a KTM dealer. Just my .02

• Tsk350

Posted November 05, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Oh and I just wanted to ad! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 05, 2006 - 07:50 PM

why ask why? Its like asking a beer drinker why he drinks bud or coors... its what dad used and it was always on hand. On my wr purchase, it came down between the wr and the crfx, and the winner was wr because 1k cheaper and no complaints about the vaves.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.