Can a wr 450 be as good as a YZ

15 replies to this topic
  • aightball27

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:49 AM

Can a moded wr 450 be as good as a stock YZ

• griffithds

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:11 AM

You got it backwards. You ever try to ride a YZ at night? How about climbing uphill, dodging pine trees in loose gravel? In tight tech. stuff, the YZ just won't cut it!

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Actually, better. The WR can do more than the YZ and some of the things it can do, it does better. I ride my WR450 on both tracks and trails and I'm never disappointed with it. I think the WR is probably the best all-around, most reliable 4-stroke on the market. :mad:

• aightball27

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:37 AM

i just ordered my wr and it going to be here on friday, my concern was that im going from a yz to a wr. i found myself riding trails and harescrables more than mx tracks, but i love the power or get up and go my yz has. i found it to be difficult to ride harescrambles on my yz especially not have an e start. thats why i ask that question.

• Triumphs

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Yes, better then a YZ but not as good as an R6! :mad:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 25, 2006 - 12:56 PM

i just ordered my wr and it going to be here on friday, my concern was that im going from a yz to a wr. i found myself riding trails and harescrables more than mx tracks, but i love the power or get up and go my yz has. i found it to be difficult to ride harescrambles on my yz especially not have an e start. thats why i ask that question.

You'll need to do the "free mods" of course.

You can get a WR power to about 99% of YZ power. The YZ revs faster because it has a lighter flywheel, and stator. It also isn't spinning any of the extra gears associated with the starter.

• BlueBlood Rider

Posted October 25, 2006 - 01:54 PM

It also isn't spinning any of the extra gears associated with the starter.

There are no "extra gears" being spun by the engine when running. Once the starter solenoid disengages, the only thing starter related on any of the reciprocal parts are the ring gear teeth that are cast into the clutch hub and add minimal weight. There are no parts engaged that add drag on the engine once you release the starter button.

• Beejay

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:49 PM

There are no "extra gears" being spun by the engine when running. Once the starter solenoid disengages, the only thing starter related on any of the reciprocal parts are the ring gear teeth that are cast into the clutch hub and add minimal weight. There are no parts engaged that add drag on the engine once you release the starter button.

Agree with that, the 'o' ring chain does add a bit of drag but it's just about insignificant & it's heavier than the YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto5

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:59 PM

The 30 pound difference is a lot and does suck but getting stuck out on a trail at night without a headlight sucks even more. Also when you are dead tired and just went down on a muddy hill that button is worth it's weight in gold.

• MountainMax

Posted November 08, 2006 - 11:27 AM

I agree, they are better, I have mine as close power wise to the YZ as i can get, plus i can drive it on the roads, and at night, I just love it, and Idon't notice the extra weightas im 250 pounds (plus riding gear) already,

• Lowedog

Posted November 09, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Depends on what you want to do with it. After riding 5000 + miles on my '03 WR 450 I bought a 2006 YZ 450 and the YZ is so much better it's not even close. I ride only woods and the only mod I needed to do was go up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. The drawbacks for the YZ though is no magic button and no lights. The YZ is so much lighter feeling and the suspension is so much better that I don't get nearly as tired as I did on the WR.

We'll have to see how the 2007 WR is though. With the new frame geometry the bike may be real close to the YZ as far as handling.

-Lowedog

• dino 702

Posted November 09, 2006 - 01:18 PM

It still won't be suspended like the YZ.

• aightball27

Posted November 09, 2006 - 09:15 PM

what mods did you do on your bike

• Lowedog

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:22 PM

what mods did you do on your bike

Free mods of course, JD Jetting, Thunder Alley pipe, Twin Air filters. That's about it for performance mods. My WR seemed like it had more grunt than the YZ. The '06 YZ motor almost feels electric. It's soooo smooth that it's kind of decieving. It wil be interesting to see if the new WR motor is smoother also.

-Lowedog

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I've spent a good amount of time riding both and I feel that the WR is just easier and more forgiving to ride in offroad situations. No doubt that the YZ is quicker and lighter than the WR but I feel that the YZ is more demamnding to ride for the average rider when the terrain gets real tight. With a few mods the YZ can work great for trail riding, I just feel that the WR is already set up for 90% of us who ride offroad. Now that the YZs are 5 speeds they're getting more and more actrative to some of us, good move by Yamaha.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 11, 2006 - 11:13 PM

After riding 5000 + miles on my '03 WR 450 I bought a 2006 YZ 450 and the YZ is so much better it's not even close.

Exactly the same for me other than my WR was an 04. I modded my WR and the power is no where close to that of the YZ. My best friend still has his WR, fully modded with exhaust, and when we switch its like going from a Porche to a Pickup truck. The WR is an awesome bike, but its no YZ. I dont night ride, so the lights not a big deal to me. The YZ tank is too small for trails and I really miss the side stand. Everywhere else the YZ outperforms the WR in every performance aspect in my opinion. I did mod my YZ to set it up for my "style", but you wouldnt absolutely have too.

How about climbing uphill, dodging pine trees in loose gravel? In tight tech. stuff, the YZ just won't cut it!

Sorry man I'm not being a dick, but you obviously havent ever rode a YZ. You got it just backwards. I do a TON of hillclimbing, and the WR doesnt hold a candle, not even close. When I first got my YZ and hadnt sold my WR yet, I took them both to Cowley Wyo (1000 ft hills). I was easily topping hills on the YZ that I couldnt on the WR. There is just that much difference. The YZ's handling is tons better in the tight stuff, its way lighter, shorter, and feels so much smaller. I got so much faster on my YZ in the mountains it was amazing. My riding buddies were literally amazed at the speed I gained with the change to the YZ. Now I am just slow, not painfully slow. :p

Dont get me wrong, I am not hacking on the WR. It is an awesome bike. I really loved mine and wish I could have kept it too. But I had to choose, and I definatley made the best choice, at least for me. I would just suggest to ride both if you get the chance. And not just in some gravel lot, take em out and ride if you can. Heck, if you get my way, you can ride mine. :cheers:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.