650L handlebar question

10 replies to this topic
  • Iain

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:11 AM

Got a 650L and I am 6'8. I need as high a setup as I can get. Any suggestions?

thanks so much!

• pigryder

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:24 AM

Cr Highbend And Risers

• michhub

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:25 AM

You'll want to replace the stock Bend-O-Matics anyway...so a new set of bars with a higher rise is a good start...then add bar risers...I'm 6'6" and went with Renthal CR-Hi bend and 35mm risers from Touratech, much better.:mad:

• Iain

Posted October 25, 2006 - 12:57 PM

will renthals fit on the stock Triples?

• DigDug

Posted October 25, 2006 - 05:17 PM

will renthals fit on the stock Triples?

As long as they're 7/8"... I bought a set of aluminum Renthals made for the Yamaha Banshee ATV. great fit and good rise (about 2 1/2" higher) and little more sweep... You can rotate them a few degrees in the triple clamps to get a "custom" fit for you. Only disadvantage is that the blinker/hi-lo/horn and the kill switch assemblies have a nub that fits into a hole on the stock bars to stop them from rotating.. you gotta cut that piece of plastic off (I didn't feel good about drilling a hole in the new aluminum bars.

I also had to reroute the clutch cable to the backside of the handlebars and do some creative bending of the cable "holders" on the sides of the frame in front of the tank. I thought my cables would be good until I was making a tight turn, riding the clutch for slow speed and turning the handlebars to the stop pulled the clutch cable in a little and woops - no power... (I did manage to get my foot down in time, but it was close :mad: )

I'm right at 6' and this setup works pretty good.. they could be a little higher for extended standing, but any higher I don't think I'd feel comfortable sitting (not into the apehanger thing myself).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbaranski

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have a Protaper top clamp with bar clamps for 1 1/8 bars. $50 plus shipping if your interested?

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:17 PM

You gotta check out the Renthal "Desert Vintage High" bend!

They are PERFECT for taller folks and are a full 33" wide!

I have pics in my garage so you can get a ballpark idea on height comparision!

They are only available in 7/8"

I am 6'3" and didnt care for the CR HIGH bend, they werent all that much higher anyway! :mad:

• Rideaide

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I have a Protaper top clamp with bar clamps for 1 1/8 bars. $50 plus shipping if your interested?

If you use and after market triple clamp on the XR650L then you can't mount the speedo and there is no hole for the key assembly. The XR600R clamp fits but does not have the mounting. If you use an XR600R clamp with 1 1/8 bar mounts you would have to relocate the sppedometer mounting and the key assembly.

Use Protaper bar mount risers and CR High bend Bars or even CR High Renthal 7/8 bars are much better than stock.:mad:

• goblin127

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:47 PM

You may want to start with the risers. I got mine from rocky mountain. You can add or subtract shimms on these to fit you. From there change the bars if you see fit. After I put the risers on with the cr high bends I tried the tallest shim but had to take it out,not that I didn't like the riding pos. but the whole thing felt weird. So I would do it in stages.

• dukeryder

Posted October 30, 2006 - 07:18 PM

CR-HI is the Lowest HI bend of the protaper line. KX-HI is the highest bend. I'm running them with the 1 1/8" Adapters it raises them up nicely.

if you really wanna get high

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 31, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Again, check out the Renthal "Desert Vintage High" bend! Has much more bend then the KX High and CR High and less sweep!

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.