Damaged Bikes Being Sold of the Showrooms Floors!!!!!

42 replies to this topic
  • KTMKarl

Posted October 27, 2006 - 01:51 PM

scary huh? Thats just the stuff they have got caught on they have plenty of other scams that are running around under the radar, they'll get their's in the end.

• johnny_rmz

Posted October 28, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Well, just got back from Missouri. Got the bike it looks like a new one. I picked it up and got the MCO and the owners manual. I think I got a smokin' deal on this bike. Drove from New Mexico to Springfield in about 10 hours each way and the best part is that I got no speeding tickets :mad: I noticed on his paperwork it said "auction" I asked him what that meant. He said that if dealers go out of business Yamaha reclaims these bikes and allows the top 15 dealers to bid on them and that is where my bike came from. Again I am a happy camper and will buy my wife's 4 wheeler from them in the future.

BTW if anyone is looking for a 05 KX250 I have one for sale!!!

• BergArabia

Posted October 28, 2006 - 09:37 AM

That is great. I am glad it worked out for you...:mad:
Like I said my 05 looks like *&^^( but it runs like a new one.
You got a new one that even looks like a new one. That is real good..

• johnny_rmz

Posted October 30, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I am driving from colorado??? Yikes!! That is why i am so concerned about this whole scenario. 10 hour drive to find a dented radiator and then turn around and drive 10 hours back?? Plastic i could care less about, we all know what yamaha plastic looks like after a few months. If it was 2-3 hours i would just drive out there and take a look and if not just walk away, unfortunately my walk is 10 hours. Just wanted to get everyone elses input on this one before starting my 4 am road trip. Sounds like i should be fine, thanks for all the input and will let you know what happens after i get back.

Did you pick up a bike?

• never59

Posted October 31, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Nope!! They called me thursday afternoon to tell me that they some how made a mistake and there was not a bike for me??????????:mad: :mad: :mad: :worthy: :ride: I put a deposit down to a hold a specific vin # bike and it disappeared?? He offered me an 07 for $6400 OTD and some free stuff. No thanks, wanted a 06 for $4800 OTD!
That place sucks!!!

• KTMKarl

Posted October 31, 2006 - 10:02 AM

I just can't help but question why anybody would whore out there local dealer and drive so many hours to do business with a dis-reputable shop. By taking these steps folks are saying they have no hope in their local shop helping them at all. I just can't believe that is true. I have always had good relationships with local dealers and it has proven invaluble MANY times over the years, ecspecially for a blue collar racer who has so many last minute parts emergencies ect.. I can't thank my dealers enough.

Best of luck.

• KTMKarl

Posted October 31, 2006 - 10:04 AM

PS: Auction refers to damaged frieght 99.9% of the time, look around there aint to many Yamaha delaers folding up shop. Crazy just crazy.

• 35yz450F

Posted October 31, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I just can't help but question why anybody would whore out there local dealer and drive so many hours to do business with a dis-reputable shop. By taking these steps folks are saying they have no hope in their local shop helping them at all. I just can't believe that is true. I have always had good relationships with local dealers and it has proven invaluble MANY times over the years, especially for a blue collar racer who has so many last minute parts emergencies ect.. I can't thank my dealers enough.

Best of luck.

Better than being "whored out" by your local dealer. I wish I could give someone local my business, but it costs too much. A "good relationship" with my local dealer isn't worth and extra $1000 for a new bike and 15% additional for parts and accessories. Emergency parts are only two days away. One day if its really an emergency. I try to do a good job of planning ahead.

I'll be ready for a new YZ450F in the next couple months. If a local dealer will beat TT's price OTD to my door, I'll buy from them. I pretty sure I'll be picking up a crate at the airport or taking a road trip.

• never59

Posted October 31, 2006 - 02:59 PM

I just can't help but question why anybody would whore out there local dealer and drive so many hours to do business with a dis-reputable shop. By taking these steps folks are saying they have no hope in their local shop helping them at all. I just can't believe that is true. I have always had good relationships with local dealers and it has proven invaluble MANY times over the years, ecspecially for a blue collar racer who has so many last minute parts emergencies ect.. I can't thank my dealers enough.

Best of luck.

I am all about supporting local shops!
There is a difference between supporting your local dealer and paying his mortage!!! Would you support your local dealer if he wanted $6999 for an 06 yz450 when the 07's are already out? Then support your local shop even more by paying his freight, setup and other fee's thrown on there as well. I then have to pay taxes on it because i am buying it in state. That rings out to close to $8000!
For me it's not even an option, $4800 or $8000. I am not sure if you can do the math blue collar Karl but that is a lot of money.

• grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2006 - 05:09 PM

And that, my friends is the free market at work. :mad:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stezlaki

Posted October 31, 2006 - 08:58 PM

Best of luck.

Not jumping in on an attack on you KTMKarl, but, as others have said, lots of peoples local dealers suck just as bad or worse than these "internet superstores" AND charge you a whole lot more at the same time. I, like you, try to support local businesses when practical, but practicality is sometimes thrown out the window. Example......... my son was becoming an excellent rider on his KTM Pro JR at the age of 5 until he had a minor practice crash which ended up getting him "nailed" by an 85 in mid flight as he was getting up. Although no lasting "major" injuries, he lost all enthusiasm for the sport from such a horrific event. So, as he was beginning to get a little interest again, but finding the KTM that he once rode quite well to now be intimidating, I decided to get him a "mellow" bike to ease him back into riding. Went down to my local dealer with whom I had already been trying to establish a relationship with by purchasing parts that cost me more and took me longer to get than if I ordered them myself (they stock nearly nothing as far as parts go........very entertaining when they "check to see if they have it in stock" over and over and over again, though). Had cash in my pocket and every intention of purchasing a TTR50 which has a msrp of $1149. Talked with a salesman that I knew both from the store and the track. He came back with a price of $1580. I said, "come on, MSRP is only $1149, + sales tax of 7% is $1230. I already know I can purchase the same bike for $950 out the door somewhere else, but want to purchase from you. Surely you can do better." He does the stupid crap of "going into the room" and coming back with a price of $1565 saying that that was the best they could do, and, at that price they aren't making any money (guess they only price them at $15 profit to begin with???). Against my better judgement since I was already getting kinda pissed for being treated like I was stupid, I said, "look dude, I have money in my pocket and, even though I can purchase for less somewhere else would like to buy this bike from you. I'll give you MSRP plus tax." They refused. Said $1565 was the best they could do. Had 3 of them on the floor, too, by the way........

SO, what would you do? I bought a bike somewhere else, and haven't bought much in the way of parts from them lately either. Besides, they don't stock crap for a MX bike........you'd be lucky to find even the proper replacement lever "in stock."

SO, to sum things up, basically some local dealers = bad bike prices, bad parts prices, and nothing in stock. Oh, and ours also has a HORRIBLE reputation for shop work. I honestly wouldn't trust them to change my oil.:mad: So, basically, there isn't much to be gained by purchasing local, for some people anyway. The money saved at these "internet superstores" can get most "blue collar racers" suspension upgrades, basic bolt on parts, and then some for the same money as a bone stock bike from their worthless local dealer.

Having said all that, I need to get my daughter another bike, and will probably (must be a glutton for punishment??:mad:........or maybe just retarded??) at least try with my local dealer again. I'm sure I won't get too far................. :mad:

• johnny_rmz

Posted October 31, 2006 - 10:13 PM

PS: Auction refers to damaged frieght 99.9% of the time, look around there aint to many Yamaha delaers folding up shop. Crazy just crazy.

How does auction = damaged freight?

As far as the bike goes if it was damaged then they have fixed it to look like new and I looked it over pretty good before laying down the cash... and I have had bikes for over 20 years now. I don't see any damage on it!

Just so you know I have seen two dealers go out of business in the past 4 years so it does happen and I don't see any evidence to dis-credit what ProCycle told me regarding the history of the bike.

Is there a CarFax type website for off-road bikes?

• johnny_rmz

Posted October 31, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Nope!! They called me thursday afternoon to tell me that they some how made a mistake and there was not a bike for me??????????:mad: :mad: :mad: :worthy: :ride: I put a deposit down to a hold a specific vin # bike and it disappeared?? He offered me an 07 for $6400 OTD and some free stuff. No thanks, wanted a 06 for $4800 OTD!
That place sucks!!!

Geez, I hope I didn't get your bike!!!

They told me that I got the last one due to a mistake in the computer.

• GONE1445

Posted November 01, 2006 - 12:02 AM

well I know the closest dealer that sells yamaha's is crap they never have parts in stock except maybe an oil filter(altho they did get my cables here pretty fast(2days)so its not all bad)

also my dad was pricing a warrior(while ago) and the guy said well MSRP is 5000 so with tax and everything OTD 6000 haha my dad was like &%$#@!

then my uncle went upnorth to a dealer and asked the guy how much for this yz426(again while ago) and he said like 6000(not right but will work for this story)OTD no bs every price he gave was OTD taking it home

then my uncle said ok and came home and called the yamaha dealer and asked for the price on a yz426 the guy told him somethin like 6700 and he told him well I got a price of 6000 OTD from another shop can you match or beat that OTD price the dealer siad ya come on down and we will talk

so he goes down there and the guy says oh yea we can do 6000 and my uncle asked OTD? he said oh no OTD it will probably be about 6700 and my uncle said ok by the guy stopped him and the went back and forth like this for a while and long story short my uncle bought one form up north

that is why I dont go to my local shop for anything that I dont absolutly need plus I dont think any of them know how to ride a dirt bike

I will always go up north they give ya OTD price all the time NO BS

• never59

Posted November 01, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Geez, I hope I didn't get your bike!!!

They told me that I got the last one due to a mistake in the computer.

You stole my girl johnny!!!! They told me they made a mistake on the computer and that's why my bike is gone!! Hope you enjoy it, i know i would of. At least we both did not get screwed out of the deal. Just me:foul:

• KTMKarl

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:06 AM

I'm quite good with the cipherin! LOL Difference is that I race all year long, every year and plan on keeping at it till my body won't let me, thats gonna be a while. GET TO KNOW YOUR DEALER! They are humans if they are race friendly you'll likely never know a better friend to have in your corner. I've done the math I'm way better off knowing the people I know and yeah they do have to pay their mortage thats what humans do.

I'll try to keep this from being Pro-cycle specific BUT thay are an absolutely perfect example of this type of thing. How much do they help the racing scene in your area? I KNOW how much they help in their area. When was the last time you drove 10 hours to borrow a kick starter bolt or something of the like off a showroom machine that your "cheap deal" dealer had? When was the last time they're parts manager went trail riding with you and brought along a sack of parts that were charged to your account which BTW is likely to be several months behind if you have like me just plain forgot about sending in your YZ bucks to them? Oh there's another point how much is your down the road dealer gonna help you out with your YZ bucks when he or she knows you drove 10 hours to save a K on an auction bike that he doesn't even feel right about selling off his or her floor? I THINK a little farther down the road than some folks I guess.

Money is money but think where your gonna be spending it in a few weeks or months or god forbid YEARS down the road. if you want ALL dealers to be more like this one particular example then well I am damn scared how many more are out there just like you and the future starts looking pretty bleak.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2006 - 10:29 AM

When was the last time you drove 10 hours to borrow a kick starter bolt or something of the like off a showroom machine that your "cheap deal" dealer had? When was the last time they're parts manager went trail riding with you and brought along a sack of parts that were charged to your account which BTW is likely to be several months behind if you have like me just plain forgot about sending in your YZ bucks to them? Oh there's another point how much is your down the road dealer gonna help you out with your YZ bucks when he or she knows you drove 10 hours to save a K on an auction bike that he doesn't even feel right about selling off his or her floor? I THINK a little farther down the road than some folks I guess.

I live in an area where I can drive for two hours and visit 7 or 8 Yamaha dealers. Even in that market, which you would think would be fairly competitive, there are the dealers who will price match and give no BS OTD prices the first time when asked, and the ones whose response is either to give the low-ball, base price quote and then add one thing after the other to it, or to simply look you in the eye and say, "MSRP + tax, license, and set up", and that's it, period. How many bikes do you think the latter group sells, and how likely are they to do any of the things you mention above? When you run a business, you are there to make money, and there's nothing wrong with that. But you can either brutally squeeze every dime you can get out of everybody you get your hooks into, or, you can make people feel like you went halfway with them, make them enjoy doing business with you, and make up the difference in volume. Which group will be in business longer, do you think?

There are, just as you suggest, a lot of shady places that fit the "procycle" stereotype, but there are just as many dealers who refuse to give an inch, and don't offer any real service to their customers. Neither of these should be rewarded, even if they're local.

• joe346cbmx

Posted November 01, 2006 - 01:58 PM

just an after thought about the whole pro cycle deal. I wonder if Yamaha would pull their "yamaha dealership" if they knew what these gusy were convicted of.

joe

• Mike546

Posted November 01, 2006 - 02:39 PM

I believe is supporting my local dealers to a point. If a local dealer gives you a bolt off of a bike on the floor then he is doing a good job of earning your respect and business. But for 99% of the people out there it's list price plus shipping and it will be in when it's in. If its a $200 dollar difference buying a six grand bike local versus out of state then I would buy local. But if it's seven or eight hundred and you avoid the sales tax then its a smart move to buy the lower priced bike. It takes a lot of free kick starter bolts to make up a thousand dollars. I was lucky, my local dealer had a 450 for $4799, but if he was $6400 and the other bike was five hours away I would be on the road first thing Saturday morning. The local dealers have to give a little too.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2006 - 02:46 PM

I wonder if Yamaha would pull their "yamaha dealership" if they knew what these gusy were convicted of.

I'll bet there's language in their contract that would let them do just that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.