xr600r- what to look for

2 replies to this topic
  • chakup

Posted October 25, 2006 - 07:39 AM

OK I found a decent deal on a '00 xr600r with low miles/hours. I went to look at it and well it is rough. He is the second owner- got it from a friend ~4 years ago who used it as a loaner bike. Current owner has ridden it a handful of times- bought quads and it's sat for over a year. Lots of surface rust- the engine sounded rough. But for sitting for a year it fired up after only a couple of kicks. The guy does want to move the bike out- I just don't know that I want to chance major engine issues. anything I should be looking for?? He's asking $2k for it. And I'd still need to spend on top of the cleaning/maintenance $$ on getting it plated.

as an aside I also looked at a plated WR426- trail bike with plates. But it's had full suspension work done, all the WR mods done, and lots of aftermarket goodies. I'd basically only want wheels/tires. but know the XR would be a better street beast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Owyhee

Posted October 25, 2006 - 08:58 AM

[quote name='chakup']OK I found a decent deal on a '00 xr600r with low miles/hours. I went to look at it and well it is rough. He is the second owner- got it from a friend ~4 years ago who used it as a loaner bike. Current owner has ridden it a handful of times- bought quads and it's sat for over a year. Lots of surface rust- the engine sounded rough. But for sitting for a year it fired up after only a couple of kicks. The guy does want to move the bike out- I just don't know that I want to chance major engine issues. anything I should be looking for?? He's asking $2k for it. And I'd still need to spend on top of the cleaning/maintenance $$ on getting it plated.
QUOTE]

$2000 for a beat 600 is pretty steep. I got a "new" 1999 for $2000 earlier this year. It still had the original tires/engine oil/etc and came with a cool chainsaw rack.

If he's really desperate maybe you can talk him down a grand?

Good Luck.

"O"

• cleonard

Posted October 25, 2006 - 09:56 AM

OK I found a decent deal on a '00 xr600r with low miles/hours. I went to look at it and well it is rough. He is the second owner- got it from a friend ~4 years ago who used it as a loaner bike. Current owner has ridden it a handful of times- bought quads and it's sat for over a year. Lots of surface rust- the engine sounded rough. But for sitting for a year it fired up after only a couple of kicks. The guy does want to move the bike out- I just don't know that I want to chance major engine issues. anything I should be looking for?? He's asking $2k for it. And I'd still need to spend on top of the cleaning/maintenance $$ on getting it plated.

as an aside I also looked at a plated WR426- trail bike with plates. But it's had full suspension work done, all the WR mods done, and lots of aftermarket goodies. I'd basically only want wheels/tires. but know the XR would be a better street beast.

I'm guessing that it sat outside. Usually, the enging will be OK. The sitting outside will not kill it. If it is open as in no spark plug, exhaust, or carb then there will be engine damage. Look for rust on the fork tubes and shock shaft. Any rust in those places and they need to be replaced. Most of the surface rust is just cosmetic. However, cosmetic condition is important for the sales price. I would try and talk him down. $2000 is a lot to ask for a bike that looks crappy and doesn't run right.

The engine was rough because of the time sitting. If there was any gas left in the carb, it turns in to varnish that cloggs up the carb. Same with the tank. You will need to clean them out.

Another thing to look out for is registration. Is it up to date? Does he have the pink? A lot of times neglected bikes are not registered. This could make it expensive and/or a real paiin.

Just because a bike is sitting a long time doesn't mean it will not work. I ride to and from work on a 1980 Honda CM400 that I got for $200 dollars. It was parked in 1984 and not started again until I brought it back to life in 2006. It sat for 22 years! All I did was change the oil and clean the tank and carb. After that it fired right up. Well I did have to go thru the carb about 3 times before it ran right.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.