Exhaust choices- 06 450F

55 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted October 28, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Bike can certainly be done a lot cheaper, but a pipe on the sled would be nice too... I hate making such important decisions :mad:

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:41 PM

Well I didn’t get the Dr.D I got the FMF 4.1 but just the slip on, cant get the mega bomb header till next month. But they are both great exhaust systems. If you want to spend the money I would go with FMF even with out the header it added a ton of power but smooth, and balanced the bike out. But it seemed like 2nd gear revved out faster.

• Satch0922

Posted October 29, 2006 - 03:48 PM

save the money and buy a real front tire...

jk Chase....just don't know how I could justify an aftermarket pipe on and 06 YZ450F........are the triples that big out there in the country? :mad:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 29, 2006 - 10:03 PM

What can I say Satch, we grow 'em big out here :mad: I probably don't need a pipe, but (1) my stock header got a few dings in it and (2) I think the PMB sparky sapped a bit of power out of the blue girl, so this gives me a way to justify spending another $400 on the bike to the boss :mad: I'm guessing you saw my other thread about the tire... I was wondering how long before you'd start in on me about that! I should have listened to you... did I say that out loud? :mad:

• aford541

Posted October 29, 2006 - 10:09 PM

I had a DMC on my 06 which gave it great bottom end but not much of an improvement elsewhere.
I rode my buddies 07 that had a DRD on it, it was similar but had more mid and top end.

The Yosh I have is better everywhere more bottom mid and top.

I prefer the Yosh then the Dr D.

• lixno

Posted October 30, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Has anyone tried the FMF MegaBomb header? They claim that improves the power band throughout the rpm's.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted October 30, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Has anyone tried the FMF MegaBomb header? They claim that improves the power band throughout the rpm's.

I will let you know soon. Because I could only afford the mid pipe and the can this payday but next payday if I decide not to make a big payment on the bike I'm going to get the mega bomb.

• andy250

Posted October 30, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Beware - motofrugals is EXTREMELY slow to ship. It took more than 3 weeks, and several emails/phone calls, to recieve mine.

If you need it quickly I'd pay the extra 10 bucks and order from here: http://www.btosports.com/p/DR4SFS

The best price by far is at motofrugals.com for the Dr. D stuff. $399.00 for the aluminum SA Race System. :mad:

• TapptOut

Posted November 04, 2006 - 10:08 AM

I run it and i love it. But i run a White Brothers E2 and not a stock silencer. But i sure love the combo. It passes the 96 with ease more like 94ish. And at the track i just switch the end caps and boom. I love this combo.

• twenty34

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Affordable too!

Affordable? I guess everyone has their definition of what's affordable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OcotilloBound

Posted January 12, 2007 - 02:55 PM

Affordable? I guess everyone has their definition of what's affordable.

That's for sure - I can barely afford to pay attention, and I sure as hell can't afford to pay the piper! (pun intended)

• 700MX

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:07 AM

I have a Yosh and really like it.

I have a yosh full ti system for 06-07 I will sell for Best offer. The pipe on my YZF, on my sponsorhouse page shows it mounted

I just got a yosh carbon!

• riles24

Posted February 06, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I have an 06 CRF 450R, I ride in the dunes only and just put the thunder alley header and muffler on. The low to mid range increase is very noticeable! I weigh 200 and with the stock gearing the bike pulls 5th almost everywhere at dumont!!! The customer service was excellent at TA, the pipe was built and sent out the next day.

• Troutman

Posted February 06, 2007 - 07:18 PM

That's for sure - I can barely afford to pay attention, and I sure as hell can't afford to pay the piper! (pun intended)

Nice Pun :censored:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 15, 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'm reviving this one a short time, until I can oficially make up my dang mind! At this point, top contenders are:

Dr. D full system
WB E2/Powerbomb
Yosh full system

I'm 98% on the Dr. D, but there are so many good pipes for the 06 that it's making my decision very, very hard. I loved the Thunder Alley on my 426 but wanted to do something a little different this time. Has anyone put one of the new Dr. D system's on their 06 yet? If so, how did you like it? For the record, I'd be going aluminum/stainless on the Dr. D, I don't think the Ti would fair as well in the roots and rocks.

• twenty34

Posted April 15, 2007 - 07:56 AM

I'm reviving this one a short time, until I can oficially make up my dang mind! At this point, top contenders are:

Dr. D full system
WB E2/Powerbomb
Yosh full system

I'm 98% on the Dr. D, but there are so many good pipes for the 06 that it's making my decision very, very hard. I loved the Thunder Alley on my 426 but wanted to do something a little different this time. Has anyone put one of the new Dr. D system's on their 06 yet? If so, how did you like it? For the record, I'd be going aluminum/stainless on the Dr. D, I don't think the Ti would fair as well in the roots and rocks.

I have the Dr. D on my 06. Helps improve the midrange/topend, but did nothing to improve the bottom - which is what I wanted. The Yosh will be the most potent based on ride reports and the Dr. D will be the most economical. My experience has been met with disapointment. Everyone stated how this pipe increases the low end and I think the majority of entry level riders have a difficult time distinguishing between the difference in low end vs mid rage/top end. I also believe that riders that buy all this "stuff" want to believe that everything works as they envisioned. This said, you have to sort through the facts to get an accurate picture. Bolt on performance can only provide a certain degree of improvement - percieved or otherwise. Real gains come from quality shops/mechanics.

I really believe that the majority of aftermarket products are more hype than anything. For example, take the $80 Boyseen float bowl product. You have some that think it's the best product ever made, yet most swear they wasted their money. I feel there's quite a few examples of this in this industry catering to the dreams of riders that want simple bolt on performance.

Hope this helps.

• Ranger18

Posted April 15, 2007 - 05:49 PM

I have the Dr. D on my 06. Helps improve the midrange/topend, but did nothing to improve the bottom - which is what I wanted. The Yosh will be the most potent based on ride reports and the Dr. D will be the most economical. My experience has been met with disapointment. Everyone stated how this pipe increases the low end and I think the majority of entry level riders have a difficult time distinguishing between the difference in low end vs mid rage/top end. I also believe that riders that buy all this "stuff" want to believe that everything works as they envisioned. This said, you have to sort through the facts to get an accurate picture. Bolt on performance can only provide a certain degree of improvement - percieved or otherwise. Real gains come from quality shops/mechanics.

I really believe that the majority of aftermarket products are more hype than anything. For example, take the $80 Boyseen float bowl product. You have some that think it's the best product ever made, yet most swear they wasted their money. I feel there's quite a few examples of this in this industry catering to the dreams of riders that want simple bolt on performance.

Hope this helps.

Rickk, you should put your Dr. D up for sale in the classifieds. Then order a MRD pipe, and you will have all the low end you can handle.

• twenty34

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Rickk, you should put your Dr. D up for sale in the classifieds. Then order a MRD pipe, and you will have all the low end you can handle.

Ha, I think this was suggested recently. Not really interested in spending another $400 without knowing what to expect. I guess if I had more confidence that the MRD would help, that may push me to eBay my Dr.D. Kinda in a weird spot at the moment.:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Does anyone have a web site for MRD? I can't find any info on them anywhere, other than a few posts here. How about a pic of the pipe?

• Climber

Posted April 17, 2007 - 06:47 AM

http://warnekedesign.com/mrd-racing/

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.