Noob Chain Q's

4 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Do you need to lube the chain everytime it gets wet? ie.riding in the rain?

Any maintence that needs to be done during initial breakin? ie.first few hundred miles? tension? stretch?

Differences in types, brands, ingredients w/chain lubes? Best one?

What is your regular preventitive maintence procedure? (how often do you x,y,z)

Thanks

• frankstr

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:02 PM

I service my chain basicly every time I wash my bike after a days riding..:mad:
I clean it, inspect it, check the tension and lube it..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 24, 2006 - 10:16 PM

It depends on what kind of chain that you have. I'm going to assume o-ring or x-ring. These need only a little maintenance. Something to displace the water and lube the rings. I go either on the thin side with WD40 or non-oily chain wax side. I stay away from the oily chain lubes. They just seem to attract the dirt to the chain. Normally I use the wax before every ride. If I don't have any of the wax, I will use WD40. I will also use something before washing the bike. Unlike some, I only wash the bike if I have been riding in mud.

If you have a non-ring chain, then yes it needs a ton of maintenance or it will not last long at all. To make one last, you have to remove it and soak it in oil after every ride.

• TDC71

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I use PJ-1 chain lube every time I wash it every week,dont like chain wax cause it builds up and a pain to get off sprocket. WD-40 may be a little thin, its mainly for corrossion prevention and it will make ur rear rim look like a dalmation.once the lube is on the chain water aint a problem unless ur washing it with any detergent.

Todd

• bork

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:32 AM

I had a non-oring chain (new) & got tired of adjusting it every ride & on trails, GOT an O-ring chain and hardley do anything to it. Worth every cent!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.