wheel spacer

10 replies to this topic
  • bluemoabrider

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Where can I get a front wheel spacer (odometer eliminator) for my WR? Also, will I have to change to a sealed bearing or does somebody make a spacer with a seal in it? Is there a website for just WR's like the XR's only website? Thanks

• Birdy426

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Use YZF parts. Moose front wheel bearing kit works (and comes with seals for both sides), and then order the stock YZF spacer. Works great

• Jackazz

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:45 AM

This is probably a cheaper option, though may not be exactly what you were looking for...

• bluemoabrider

Posted October 25, 2006 - 02:49 PM

what would be the right way to do it?

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:18 PM

you need to do it the right way with an odo eliminator.:mad:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:21 PM

you need to do it the right way with an odo eliminator.:mad:

I saw one of these while browsing last night but can't remember where, possibly right here at the TT shop.

• Chasejj

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Use YZF parts. Moose front wheel bearing kit works (and comes with seals for both sides), and then order the stock YZF spacer. Works great

Are the hub part numbers the same??
As I understand it the YZ hub has some additional width in the casting fo the seal that the WR does not due to the ODO drive.

PS: I checked and they have different part numbers.If you compare the schematics.
The YZ uses: spacer/oil seal/single bearing/Spacer(same as WR)/single bearing/oil seal/spacer

The WR uses: odo sensor/oilseal(diff than YZ)/single bearing/spacer(same)/single bearing/oil seal/spacer(diff than YZ)

Some of the parts are the same. Maybe someone who has successfully done a YZ bearing and spacer swap can chime in here?

• Birdy426

Posted October 25, 2006 - 09:32 PM

Done it on both my 426 and my son's 250...works bitchin'. Wheel bearings are the same, seal on the left side is the same. Right side YZF seal is same as the left and fits the WR hub. Axle and left side spacer are the same. Right side spacer fits right in. I plugged the hole that the little tang the odo drive indexes in with a rubber plug from Home Depot. The reason the hubs have different part numbers is in the detailed machining on the right hand side. The hole for the tang and the two notches for indexing the drive are not cut on the YZ hub.

If you want pictures, let me know.

• Chasejj

Posted October 29, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Done it on both my 426 and my son's 250...works bitchin'. Wheel bearings are the same, seal on the left side is the same. Right side YZF seal is same as the left and fits the WR hub. Axle and left side spacer are the same. Right side spacer fits right in. I plugged the hole that the little tang the odo drive indexes in with a rubber plug from Home Depot. The reason the hubs have different part numbers is in the detailed machining on the right hand side. The hole for the tang and the two notches for indexing the drive are not cut on the YZ hub.

If you want pictures, let me know.

Pics would be sweet!
I just ordered up some Zipty YZ spacers and will complete the swaP WHEN THE B IKE GETS HERE.

• DirtyDude

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Birdy426,
Great info - a couple of questions. Did you install a YZF bearing oil seal on the right side of the WR hub? I didn't think there was enough depth to hold a seal, or maybe just the tang areas hold it in? Also, this is probably a stupid question, but the YZF right-side spacer has a ridge on the outside surface. I assume this ridge slides into the oil seal? Thanks.

• Birdy426

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:50 AM

DirtyDude-Yes, installed the YZF oil seal onthe R/H side and the hub was deep enough to hold it. In fact, it sits flush in the hub with just the tabs for the odo drive sitting above it. The r/h side spacer that I got didn't have a ridge. It was just a cylinder.

Since I posted this originally, I have found that in '02 Yamaha changed the hubs, and this trick doesn't work. For 01's and older, it's golden.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.