Helmet cameras!

8 replies to this topic
  • Chris_Slade

Posted December 16, 2001 - 06:40 AM

Hi! Been looking at a helmet cam, and I have seen Helmetcamera.com's a while back. Obviously the cheapest.
Was wondering though, how do you guys that use this set-up, keep the heads on the camcorder from getting all screwed up from the bouncing and jolting???? Also, how do you keep the camera safe in a possible incident?! I had thought of building a small wooden box, with foam or bubble wrap inside, in a backback.
The camera we have is an Sony 8mm from around 1992, that would be a shame to smash up! I just bought a new Sony TRV130 digital 8, but again, I hate to get it all smashed up.... any thoughts? Perhaps there is a way to get a recording head, affix the correct cords, and have a homemade recorder-pak? afterall....you don't need the lens and microphone, and viewfinder in a camcorder, just the recording heads!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 16, 2001 - 12:44 PM

Chris, This is ironic!! I just got back from Best Buy to test out my buddies "Helmetcam.com" set up.(His wife is bought it for him and wanted my help to find a camcorder). I can't get the thing to work on ANY cameras at all. I've plugged everything in properly and nothing!! I think the battery might be fubar. I brought it home to work on it.

To answer your question about protecting your unit, I would get a plastic type of case (pelican) and put the camera in it. I use those cases alot for work and they hold up very well.

• '00_in_Calgary

Posted December 16, 2001 - 02:34 PM

I love the fact this topic keeps coming up and I get to answer something :)

Check out this link for some ramblings about helmet cams.
http://24.79.51.167/...elmet_cam_1.htm
and this one for a primer on what to do after you've captured the video ...
http://www.adobe.com...fs/AdobeStr.pdf

If you need opinions.. I can supply them on demand ... some of them are actually valid too :D

Neil

• gavin500

Posted December 16, 2001 - 04:21 PM

don't forget the external camera needs power...
as well as the camcorder.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gavin500

Posted December 16, 2001 - 04:28 PM

oh, & also in relation to your question Chris about boxes, scrap the wooden box idea!
There are plenty of companies that make indestructible light weight plastic boxes, not only that but are dust proof as well.
Do a search on the net for them.
If you need brand names just call your local camera dealer or camping equipment shop.

• MOmilkman

Posted December 16, 2001 - 05:04 PM

Chris, I used a bagel container with some dense foam cut out specifically for the camcorder.

I do ocassionally get a jolt or two to the heads but the camcorder is 100% protected from water and dirt because it is a tupperware type container. I just had to cut a small slit at the top for the cords.

If I ever get a picture of it online I'll put it on.

• Dougie

Posted December 18, 2001 - 07:03 AM

I use a regular fanny pack that is packed with packing foam. I wrap the camera in a plastic waterproof baggie. I also use a leather belt to help secure the fanny pack to my waist so the heads don't jump around as much. You are going to get artifacting on a digital camera in rough areas. Not too much you can do about it. But securing it down as much as possible will keep it to a minimum. You will want to duct tape the cords to your helmet really well to keep them from flapping or catching on anything.

I do love this thing. But be prepared that when you show it off to your friends, only your riding buddies are going to appreciate it. Those that don't ride find it boring very fast. That is why I put music on mine. I can dub it right to the camera (Canon ZR10) and play it back three ways. No music, all music or a combination of the two.

Also be prepared that no matter how fast you think you are going or how hard the terrain, it always looks slower and easier on TV. You could be hauling ass on a trail and then climb the steepest narliest hill and when you play it back it looks like you are just enjoying a leisurely ride. But you and your buddies on the tape know that it was fast and rough. You just have to convince your family it was harder :)

• MOmilkman

Posted December 18, 2001 - 04:25 PM

Dougie made some good points.

One more thing he didnt mention though. It can take quite a while to get the thing put on and situated. That is probably the chief complaint I have about the thing. All my buddys are ready to go riding and Im still back at the truck trying to get the thing together.

• '00_in_Calgary

Posted December 18, 2001 - 06:37 PM

The way around that is to enlist one of them to wear the kidney belt/backpack & camera. Most of them are cool with being the camera guy and you get some footage of yourself for a change.

Plus you can strap it on a fast guy claiming to want the "clean trail" shot and the extra gear slows him down to normal speeds. :)

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: '00 in Calgary ]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.