Xr650r White Brothers E2 Jetting

24 replies to this topic
  • TINYSC51

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Howdy,

I have an 05 XR650R and I just uncorked it! In the process I did the HRC Intake Manifold, removed the rubber boots from airbox, put a #175 Main, 68S, and the b53 needle w/clip in the 3rd position.

I then put a White Brothers E2 pipe and left the stock header. The bike is still not running right (power is not fully there, throtle response is lacking, and will pop-out and die in certain situations.

I am doing the majority of my riding at sea level.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• weskc35k

Posted October 24, 2006 - 01:39 AM

Man you should not be too far off,have you opened up the side panel?

• frankstr

Posted October 24, 2006 - 05:23 AM

Your jetting does sound about right...check the color of the spark plug...

Also, Welcome to TT. TINYSC51...

Plenty of info. and friends to meet here at TT...:mad:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 24, 2006 - 05:43 AM

I'm assuming that you have not removed the smog pump in the uncorking. If not, that crap has got to go as it causes a lot of rattiness and popping on it's own. That sounds like good jetting for sea level. I have the same and it works great on the opened up stock pipe.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for all of the input! I have removed the smog pump. I am now running the 175 Main and 65 Pilot. Does this seem right? It is still having bad throtle response and lacking power.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 11:22 AM

I have not opened the side panel.

• rcnutt

Posted October 24, 2006 - 12:24 PM

play with your mix screw for throttle response. sounds close on the jetting I'm in sac and have the same setup with the side cover opened up and it rips.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 24, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like you have done all the right things. Holes in the side panel won't make a difference for your problem. That would be more of a high rpm thing. Perhaps it's worth a try fiddling with the air screw/fuel screw (or whatever they call it nowdays). Did you do all these mods on once or were you able to try the mods with the stock pipe? I'm not saying it's the pipe because I understand that the E2 is a great pipe. I'm also making the assumption that the response is lacking on the low end, is that correct?

• adam574

Posted October 24, 2006 - 01:01 PM

i know when i did those mods on my bike it wouldn't run right so i did the side panel mod and that pretty much fixed all my problems. i realize it is usually a main jet thing but that side panel mod really lets the bike get a whole lot more air at all rpms.

if not drilling holes try just taking out the two plastic plugs in the airbox. that may help a bit.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Yes, it is lacking on mostly low end. I did not get a chance to try the mods with the stock pipe. I will try dialing in the fuel screw. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I will definately look into the side panel mod. It really helps huh?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:17 PM

I guess there are always differences between bikes and especially in altitudes. I believe that the Honda off road guys recommend not cutting slots in the side panel unless you go to an aftermarket exhaust with a header. I have all the same recommended jetting specs for sea level, completely uncorked, and drilled out the stock exhaust. It ran very well at that point. I then added six filtered Uni pop vents in the side panel and it really did not make any noticeable difference for me, just one more thing to cover up when I wash the bike. I don't ride a lot topped out in 5th so I really believe that the higher rpms are where it would help anyway.

I'm wondering if there is something else going on here besides jetting. No clogged lines or electrical issues known?

• TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Do you have the 175 Main, 65 Pilot, and White Bros E2?

• TINYSC51

Posted October 24, 2006 - 02:22 PM

No, the bike is pretty much new (2005) with limited rides. Thanks for all of your help.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:37 PM

One post mentioned you have a 68s pilot and one post mentioned you're running the 65 pilot. You need the 68s pilot, if the 65 is still in get rid of it! As mentioned yuo should be close. If you're at sea level you may want the clip on the next lower clip. Then fine tune the fuel screw.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I am currently running the 65. What will the diference be with the 68s and the needle clip in the 4th position? Please let me know.

Thanks!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 25, 2006 - 11:18 AM

I am currently running the 65. What will the diference be with the 68s and the needle clip in the 4th position? Please let me know.

Thanks!

That could be your huckleberry right there. If you are at sea level you need the 68s. That may explain the problem just above idle. Previous owner maybe rode at a higher altitude???? If you don't already have the 68s, many Honda dealers won't know what you're talking about w/o the part number. Part number should be 99105-MBN-0680. I understand Service Honda also has it online as well.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:30 PM

Thanks I did have the 68s in before and there was issues. I will put it back in and put the needle clip down a notch.

• Mojave Monster

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:34 PM

OPEN THE AIR BOX!!! and add the 68s. This sounds like your problem.. Any more problems and you may want to consider a 170 jet but I doubt it. FYI, I have an 05 with a E2 exhaust and all the applicable mods.

• TINYSC51

Posted October 28, 2006 - 07:09 PM

What do you meen by open the air box?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.