Question on front tire

5 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM

No, this isn't the typical "what front tire should I buy for my 06" thread... I already had one of those a few months back :mad: My question is this- the tire I decided to go with, for better or worse, was a Maxxis MaxxCross SI. On my last ride out, I noticed the tire seemed low on air and very easy to squash with your hands, it also didn't handle worth a darn. So I pulled the tire apart thinking I had pinched the tube when I put the tire together- nothing. I put it back together and re-aired to 25 pounds to see if the valve core was leaking- no leak. Aired it down to 13 pounds and let it sit for a few days- still holding 13 pounds, but I can still easily smash the tire with my hands as if it was low on air. I don't remember any other tire I've used ever doing this before... did I just make a poor choice of tire? I don't think with a tire that soft I'll get the results I was hoping for with the tire swap in the first place. And since Satch is probably out there listening- I probably should have just gone with the Dunlop 952, I admit it! :mad: Any ideas or suggestions any of you might have would be appreciated. Oh yeah, the bike is being primarily used for woods riding- lots of hardpack, rocks, and roots.

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:41 AM

I haven't used an SI, but I tried an IT front once and didn't like it much at all on either the 250 or the '03. What you describe sounds like a tire with a weak body construction, and that's probably letting it squirm around under you on the trail.

My son loves the 952 on his '06. We ride a very wide range of soil types here in SoCal (often in the same ride, so it makes it tough to find a tire). Ity rarely includes any mud that someone with a hose didn't create, but it runs from dry hard pack, to rocks, to DG and sand. He hasn't tried any other tire on it, so that's not the last word, but he likes it. I use a Bridgestone M401A on the '03. It's been the best of anything I've had on that bike so far.

• TD-3

Posted October 24, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I use a Bridgestone M401A on the '03. It's been the best of anything I've had on that bike so far.

I'll second the recommendation on the M401A. I ride a wide variety of trails everything from rocks, roots, mud, hardpack and this time of year wet leaves. I've tried a Dunlop 756 and Michelin S12, neither work as well over the terrain I ride. My friend rides a 02 SX400 and also likes the M401A.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NMS

Posted October 24, 2006 - 09:43 AM

I know this sounds goofy, but make sure your tire guage is correct. Check it to another guage. I had one go bad from dropping it and it was about 8 pounds low.

• Reyndogg

Posted October 24, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I know this sounds goofy, but make sure your tire guage is correct. Check it to another guage. I had one go bad from dropping it and it was about 8 pounds low.

i know someone that has had the same problem/issue with a guage for the same reason...so i'll 2nd his suggestion

• cowboyona426

Posted October 24, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I already thought of the guage... I checked it with 2 different guages so I don't think that's the problem but you never know.... they could both be bad. I plan on picking up a new guage just to be sure.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.