Suspension Advice / 185 Pounds

7 replies to this topic
  • sharky_do_do

Posted October 23, 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hi Felluz - I just switched over from an '05 Honda 450 to a Yam YZ450F and
thought I would seek some suspension advice like the other guy did. I usually don't like to ask for help on this, but I have been out of the game for a while, and I'm not familair with KYB's....hope you understand! This is actually my first time posting in the Yam forum.

Background and knowledge: I learned quite a bit from Semic's suspension video last year, but have been out with an injury for the most part of last year. I'm back on, but now with a YZ450F with KYB's.

I'm ride/race mid pack Vet Novice, weigh 185 pounds, and am about 5'8".
The soil is mostly clay based (San Jose Fairgrounds, Club Moto) and also
some loamy tracks (Oatfield, Estreet, and Madera Fairgrounds).

I've got half a dozen rides on the bike, but am interested in some opinions on baseline settings. And YES, I love this damn thing!!!!!:mad:
I don't want any of the Honda guys to ride one of these bikes....:mad:

Please give me your input on baseline settings based on the above, thanks.
I'll give all suggestions a try!

Sharky

• mxracer206

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hi Felluz - I just switched over from an '05 Honda 450 to a Yam YZ450F and
thought I would seek some suspension advice like the other guy did. I usually don't like to ask for help on this, but I have been out of the game for a while, and I'm not familair with KYB's....hope you understand! This is actually my first time posting in the Yam forum.

Background and knowledge: I learned quite a bit from Semic's suspension video last year, but have been out with an injury for the most part of last year. I'm back on, but now with a YZ450F with KYB's.

I'm ride/race mid pack Vet Novice, weigh 185 pounds, and am about 5'8".
The soil is mostly clay based (San Jose Fairgrounds, Club Moto) and also
some loamy tracks (Oatfield, Estreet, and Madera Fairgrounds).

I've got half a dozen rides on the bike, but am interested in some opinions on baseline settings. And YES, I love this damn thing!!!!!:mad:
I don't want any of the Honda guys to ride one of these bikes....:mad:

Please give me your input on baseline settings based on the above, thanks.
I'll give all suggestions a try!

Sharky

You can start here and remember the bike is very responsive to sag and fork height.

Forks: Comp- 9 out
Reb - 9 out
Raise fork tube to line on fork

Shock: Comp- 10 out
Reb - 8 out
HS - 1 3/4 out
Sag - 100mm

• sharky_do_do

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:41 PM

You can start here and remember the bike is very responsive to sag and fork height.

Forks: Comp- 9 out
Reb - 9 out
Raise fork tube to line on fork

Shock: Comp- 10 out
Reb - 8 out
HS - 1 3/4 out
Sag - 100mm

--------

Thanks MXracer - I tried your setting and they work pretty darn good!!!!! :cheers:

• TapptOut

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:52 AM

What about for me im 6'0 195. Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:40 AM

What about for me im 6'0 195. Any suggestions?

Very slightly more compression and very slightly less rebound. 195 is at or near the top of the range the stock springs are expected to handle.

• Treagan

Posted November 17, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Grey, I understand more compression, but why less rebound? I'm also about 200#.
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2006 - 02:07 PM

Rebound works against the springs. The springs on your bike are working against 25 more pounds than they were intended to, and so, will not rebound with the same energy that those on a bike with a lighter rider will.

• TapptOut

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:50 PM

Thank You

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.