06 YZ450 Exhaust on 06 WR450

18 replies to this topic
  • Anchslayer

Posted October 23, 2006 - 01:49 PM

Will it fit? I can get the stock YZ exhaust cheap but I know these bikes have different frames so am concerned if it will fit or not. Also, if anyone has done this how much better would it be than stock WR with PMB insert because that's what I am running now. Noise doesn't matter where I ride, its all about the power. Thanks.

• ferguscawley

Posted October 23, 2006 - 02:01 PM

Unfortunately, it will not fit.:mad:

Ferg

• Anchslayer

Posted October 24, 2006 - 08:25 AM

Thanks, thats too bad. Anyone know what year stock YZ exhaust whould fit an 06 WR if any?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 24, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Thanks, thats too bad. Anyone know what year stock YZ exhaust whould fit an 06 WR if any?

03-05 will fit

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 24, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Will an 03-05 YZ exhaust fit a 2004 WR450?

• Beejay

Posted October 24, 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'm not to sure about that, why not just buy the GYRT silencer?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 24, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Will an 03-05 YZ exhaust fit a 2004 WR450?

YES!
An 03-05 YZ muffler will fit an 03-06 WR

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:40 PM

YES!
An 03-05 YZ muffler will fit an 03-06 WR

Thanks JSanfilippo.

I just happened to see one posted on E-bay too.

So it appears the options for my 2004 wr450 are::mad:
- stock exhaust with insert removed,
- stock exhaust with a PMB insert,
- or pick up a used yz450 exhaust.

Please share any opinions on db's, power, etc.

P.S. Sorry for highjacking this thread.

Cheers.

Bill.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Anybody have some comments.

Bill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted October 25, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thanks JSanfilippo.

I just happened to see one posted on E-bay too.

P.S. Sorry for highjacking this thread.

Cheers.

Bill.

YZ pipe with PMB spark arrestor and quiet insert will give you the best compromise between all of your choices. The uncorked WR can will be too loud and the PMB insert in the stock pipe may be a tad on the restrictive side and still kinda loud. An 03 WR 450f I heard this past summer with the stock can and the GTYR insert was louder than my TT-R with a quiet tipped Pro circuit T-4. Why not just look for an FMF Q?

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 26, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Why not just look for an FMF Q?

Cause I am cheap? In reality, the general message I get from my fellow TT'rs is to spend the money to get the suspension set up properly.

So the YZ exhaust or PMB insert are just that, a compromise.

But you are suggesting that an FMF Q, or similar aftermarket can, would be quieter than the stock exhaust with a PMB insert?

Thanks for the input.

Bill

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 26, 2006 - 11:08 AM

Cause I am cheap? In reality, the general message I get from my fellow TT'rs is to spend the money to get the suspension set up properly.

So the YZ exhaust or PMB insert are just that, a compromise.

But you are suggesting that an FMF Q, or similar aftermarket can, would be quieter than the stock exhaust with a PMB insert?

Thanks for the input.

Bill

Spend your money on suspension. That is smart, smart, smart. I did it backwards but should have listened. New pipe, small change over pmb. New suspension is like having a new bike.

Most of the Q pipes have the same db level as the pmb insert. They are designed to be slightly under 96. There are a few exceptions.

I had an fmf factory 4 with powerbomb header. I am now back to the stock can with the pmb insert. It is right at 96, which is a little loud, but not that bad. But sound matters here in California. I can easily switch to the stock insert and can hear my kids riding behind me. The Factory 4 is in the back of the garage.

the thing is... I cant really tell the difference because I am never riding WFO on a long road. I rarely get into 4th gear with the type of riding I like to do. I go about 25-30mph though the desert single track. Any faster than that and I am looking for a new trail. Depending on your type of riding, you may not need more top end. Personally, I need low end and midrange. The pmb gives you that and a healthy top.

How much more power are you looking for.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Depending on your type of riding, you may not need more top end. Personally, I need low end and midrange. The pmb gives you that and a healthy top.

Maurice, you described my riding style to a tee. I love the low end grunt the 450 provides so I am short shifting most of the time. If I wanted a screamer, I would bought a two stroke.

The main reason I am looking for alternatives is very superficial: I like the quietness of the stock can with the stock insert, but it is very restrictive. So I rode for awhile with the insert removed, and damn that was loud. And not loud in a pleasant way. Then I was riding one day with a buddy who has YZ exhaust on his 426. I liked the way that sounded. It had a nice note to it. True it was probably louder than I would be comfortable with in the long run.

So I think I'll put the PMB insert on my wish list. Maybe send a letter to Santa Claus.

By the way Maurice, what year bike you riding? And are you still running that trials tire on the rear?

Thanks.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I have a 2003 yz450f silencer I will sell you. It has a tiny dent on the silencer but that is it! I will sell it to you for $20 if you pay for shipping. I can take it to ups.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 26, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Send me a pm if you are interested. I am not ripping you off.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 26, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Send me a pm if you are interested. I am not ripping you off.

I PM'd you. For 20 bucks plus shipping, I don't think I can lose. As long as it's in half decent shape.

Any pictures?

• MORGR4

Posted November 25, 2006 - 10:23 AM

do you still have this pipe? / pictures?
Thanks,

• albertlui

Posted November 26, 2006 - 07:00 AM

hi drtbk4ever, did u get that yz pipe? May I know the performance?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 26, 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have a 2003 yz450f silencer I will sell you. It has a tiny dent on the silencer but that is it! I will sell it to you for $20 if you pay for shipping. I can take it to ups.

They had a "dent" built into them, on the backside. Is that the one you are talking about?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.