07 WR450 - Aluminum Frame!

42 replies to this topic
  • Chasejj

Posted October 25, 2006 - 04:15 PM

So is this about the weight savings then? :mad:

You are of course correct, and while the stat sheet junkies will dismiss the 2 or 3 lb difference...the final judgement will be on how heavy the bike "feels", just like comparing an 05/06 WR450 to a (dare I say more truckish?) earlier model of similar weight.

At the end of the day all of the 450+ 4 strokes when outfitted similarly(i.e. estart, potection, SA, damper, etc) all weigh close to one another. I agree that the "feel" of that weight depends on a variety of factors that include placement of mass(centralization) and motor inertia characteristics.
I will gladly sacrifice a few pounds to a 450/525EXC to get superior suspension and handling which is what the 07 WR's promise.
It seems that Yamaha has done virtually everything possible to make an EXC killer , but failed in getting the plate for California(I can live without it).:mad:

BTW: Did anyone notice the difference in weight (DRider article)of the Akrapovic Ti system weight to stock? 5.2 to 8.92. That is a pretty huge drop if true for a single accessory.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 26, 2006 - 02:04 AM

BTW: Did anyone notice the difference in weight (DRider article)of the Akrapovic Ti system weight to stock? 5.2 to 8.92. That is a pretty huge drop if true for a single accessory.

Yeah, the stock muffler weighs lots! My PC Ti GP system saved lots of weight and provided a huge boost in power too!

• velosapiens

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:06 AM

wow, that's almost as much as taking a big poop.

or riding with half as much water in my camelbak.

or trading in my riding boots for some squidly sneakers, lol.

seriously, i don't much care about the aluminum frame unless yamaha addresses the top-heavy feeling. if they can carry the gas lower (for instance) that could make a big difference.

hopefully the 07 will be so cool that the 06's will start selling for $2000 cheaper.

• Alley Cat

Posted October 26, 2006 - 07:22 AM

seriously, i don't much care about the aluminum frame unless yamaha addresses the top-heavy feeling.

That's exactly what they have done.

• Seabass

Posted October 26, 2006 - 08:20 AM

But what happens when you bolt on a 3.1 gallon tank? It seems one of the ways Yamaha addressed the top heavy feel is to put on a tank that doesn't hold enough fuel, IMO.

• Chasejj

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:54 AM

But what happens when you bolt on a 3.1 gallon tank? It seems one of the ways Yamaha addressed the top heavy feel is to put on a tank that doesn't hold enough fuel, IMO.

First of all. The tank will hold as much fuel as the EXC I just sold that would barely make a 49mi HS race before running out. Zipty just sent a new mold to IMS for an updated tank to drop the fuel as low as possible and carry 3 gal.

• Chasejj

Posted October 26, 2006 - 09:59 AM

wow, that's almost as much as taking a big poop.

Come on Mark , we all know your full of more S$%T than that!!!!!

• velosapiens

Posted October 26, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Come on Mark , we all know your full of more S$%T than that!!!!!

i tend to take several little poops throughout the day. a 3-5 lb poop would definitely be the upper limit.

on the gas tank think, i know at least on the 250 there's tons of room under the stock tank. gosh knows why yamaha didn't use more of that. i wouldn't expect most dezert tanks to make a huge effect on the feel of the bike, except when all the way full. once you burn through a gallon, they probably have a lower cg than stock.

• Randy Nilles

Posted November 01, 2006 - 01:04 PM

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the pipeline to fill up on aftermarket equipment for the new frame/bike. I have been asking around for parts and no one seems to have any yet!

• sjwr450

Posted November 01, 2006 - 03:01 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=430913

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dobbo

Posted November 02, 2006 - 12:26 AM

would it be harder to work on the bike with bigger tubing for the frame.....?

• Alley Cat

Posted November 02, 2006 - 03:46 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=430913

This sums it all up really! Nice write up! :mad:

• Murray Dorward

Posted November 02, 2006 - 04:50 AM

i think its going to be a great improvement.....

I was telling my buddy i was thinking about an 07 wr450
He told me that I should look at the 250... but I am thinking that the 250's power will be lacking compared to what I am used to on my DRZ400
Don't girls usually ride the wr250?

no!!!! girls ride DRZ400's when they are really tired as it is a heavy and boring
piece of machinery

• Murray Dorward

Posted November 02, 2006 - 04:55 AM

Who cares if Aluminium frame is lighter, they look way better and thats good enough. 3lbs saving in weight , big deal my average dump weights more.

Everyone must agree the 07 model looks better in every department than a 06 model.

Muz:
sa:

• Alley Cat

Posted November 02, 2006 - 04:55 AM

no!!!! girls ride DRZ400's when they are really tired as it is a heavy and boring
piece of machinery

Pffft. My girl rides a modded '05 WR250F. It's a girls bike :mad:
She'll probably put you to shame too! :mad:

• Triumphs

Posted November 02, 2006 - 12:17 PM

3lbs saving in weight , big deal my average dump weights more.

Notwithstanding the mass of your bowel movements....how much lighter then new bike feels versus how much lighter it actually is could be two different things!

• foots

Posted November 02, 2006 - 01:02 PM

piece of machinery

I guess he can say that since he's on the other side

• Chasejj

Posted November 02, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Notwithstanding the mass of your bowel movements....how much lighter then new bike feels versus how much lighter it actually is could be two different things!

Sometimes my turds do feel lighter than other times depending on what I've eaten. Maybe we are on to something here?:mad:

• wrvdogg

Posted January 24, 2007 - 07:20 PM

OK!
I have only ridden my 07' WR450 once in the desert and I can tell you it feels extremely light for the 248 or so lbs dry. I don't know what it weighs full of oil/gas/coolant, but the thing rips.
I've got all the smog and restrictions off and I love it!
The stock suspension settings are a tad on the stiff side, but that will be easily worked out with a few clicks here and there!
Very light feel in handling!! Wheelies in EVERY gear - no problem!!!
All I can say is GO GET ONE!!!

• AMG_Eric

Posted January 24, 2007 - 08:20 PM

OK!
I have only ridden my 07' WR450 once in the desert and I can tell you it feels extremely light for the 248 or so lbs dry. I don't know what it weighs full of oil/gas/coolant, but the thing rips.
I've got all the smog and restrictions off and I love it!
The stock suspension settings are a tad on the stiff side, but that will be easily worked out with a few clicks here and there!
Very light feel in handling!! Wheelies in EVERY gear - no problem!!!
All I can say is GO GET ONE!!!

1st let me preface this with i am not trying to insult anyone or the decision they made to buy one.

now that i have done the disclaimer thingy i must say that the 07 is a definate no buy on my list. i was considering it but i finally got to see one in person and it has 2 huge things that dont fit my needs.

1st is the fact that you cant plate one of these in cali. for a few 100 more a ktm 525exc can be plated. btw i own a wr450 05 that is plated. i think its crical in the cali market to have a plated offering. i say this because somewhere in the future the tree huggers will find a way to make it impossible for us to enjoy our hobby. by buying a plated bike we basically can flip off any greenie.

2nd would be the fact that i love to work on my own bike. the aluminum frame is 100% in the way of working on the carb. to work/rejet or do anything to the carb you must remove the rear shock...&%$#@! is that all about.

the looks of the 07 are very nice. i know corked its not anywhere near as fast as my uncorked 05.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.