Need suspension advice for 07(200lb rider)

13 replies to this topic
  • doublecaser

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Suspension is great but seems a little soft. After landing from a jump I'm ready to go but bike is still boinging around. It's like I have to wait for it to finish. I am playing with the clickers. Anyone have any tips. 200lb MX rider. Thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:56 AM

Is the suspension broken in yet?
Did you slow the rebound down? Try 2-3 clicks to H on the rear shock - bottom. I assume forks and shock have been set to STD positions??

• doublecaser

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Yes broken in, two track rides. Yes standard positions. The rear actually felt like it had too much rebound off showroom floor. I was hoping not to have to revalve.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:12 AM

Yes broken in, two track rides. Yes standard positions. The rear actually felt like it had too much rebound off showroom floor. I was hoping not to have to revalve.

I would say give it at least 5hrs of riding time on them before they are good and broken in.....
try to increase the rebound dampning 2-3 clicks on the shock and maybe 1-2 clicks on the forks - see what results give....

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Assuming your weight of 200 pounds is your weigh when not in your riding gear, the springs are about one step too light for you on both ends. You should consider going to .48 fork springs, and a 5.6 rear. Until the spring rates are right, it's going to be tough to get the suspension in balance.

• Ranger18

Posted October 23, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Do what I did. Loose weight, it's easy, and cheep.
(I'm Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm dead ass serious)

• doublecaser

Posted October 23, 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, just spoke with my suspension guy who had an 06. He thinks stock fork oil is too low and stock shock valving is too soft. Something about shim stack is only 5 when it should be 10. I'll keep fiddling with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WFOracer

Posted October 23, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies, just spoke with my suspension guy who had an 06. He thinks stock fork oil is too low and stock shock valving is too soft. Something about shim stack is only 5 when it should be 10. I'll keep fiddling with it.

Just curious what level rider are you, and what kind of riding do you do?

I am $2 bills as well and I also have the bottoming problem. Although my bike feels rougher than hell in the breaking bumps. My forks feel too stiff in breaking bumps and too soft on big stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2006 - 02:02 PM

J Although my bike feels rougher than hell in the breaking bumps. My forks feel too stiff in breaking bumps and too soft on big stuff.

Fairly classic symptoms of too-soft springing with too much damping cranked in to make up for it.

But you might try removing 5cc from each outer chamber.

• WFOracer

Posted October 23, 2006 - 03:31 PM

Fairly classic symptoms of too-soft springing with too much damping cranked in to make up for it.

Good to know...thanks! :mad:

• mxracer206

Posted October 23, 2006 - 03:42 PM

I felt the rear rebound was to fast also but I think the real culprit ended up being that the front rebound was to slow. The bike seemed to wan't to jump rear end high but was OK going out 3 clicks on front rebound. You will probably need springs for your weight but until then do as grayracer said and add some oil to the forks. Also keep an eye on the rear sag, our spring set a couple of times and you may need to re-do your sag accordingly. You should be able to get it close enough to ride, I am a 200 pounder and it was not bad when we got all set.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2006 - 03:49 PM

... until then do as grayracer said and add some oil to the forks.

¿? What I said was....

• aford541

Posted October 23, 2006 - 07:03 PM

Assuming your weight of 200 pounds is your weigh when not in your riding gear, the springs are about one step too light for you on both ends. You should consider going to .48 fork springs, and a 5.6 rear. Until the spring rates are right, it's going to be tough to get the suspension in balance.

We just had a 07 done by ENZO for a friend that weighed 215 with gear we used the stock rear spring (they said it rated at 5.7) with .48 fronts but we redid the valving which will make a big difference the rider is a 40+ Pro.

• mxracer206

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:36 PM

¿? What I said was....

My bad grayracer, I did not read that correctly.

WFOracer, going out on the rebound may help with the braking bumps and adding 5cc to 10cc fork oil will help the bottoming. Hopefully the added oil will not magnify the harshness, if so you may need heavier fork springs and then you can run less fork oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.