ProTaper taperwall handle bar - ?

13 replies to this topic
  • Chopp

Posted October 23, 2006 - 12:31 AM

I just ordered a ProTaper taperwall handle bar - CR high bend for my '06 XR650R and I noticed (after placing the order) that it has a "Massive 1.125" (1-1/8") diameter clamp area" to quote from the print...

My question is this...Do I need new clamps now? Or will it fit straight on....

• 650_shark

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:28 AM

I just got some protapers but I purchased the SE (Seven-Eighths). I think you need new clamps (riser with 1-1/8" clamp) or new triple clamp or return the bars for SE bars.

• frankstr

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:41 AM

Yes, Those fat bars will not fit your stock top clamp...
The stock clamp is 7/8 dia.and the fat bars are 1 1/8 dia.

You'll need a new top clamp or a set of bar adapters...:mad:

• Mojave Monster

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:01 AM

Sorry but the new bars will not fit stock clamps. Might be a good time to add a new top triple clamp with 1-1/8 bar clamps???

• Chopp

Posted October 23, 2006 - 09:14 PM

What do you guys recommend (make, model) as far as a top triple clamp, or just new clamps to fit this?

• dukeryder

Posted October 23, 2006 - 10:40 PM

just buy the universal adapter they sell, the Taperwall bars transmit a lot less vibration to your hands than the SE bars. I've had both on my bike. I ran the YZ HI Bend and now the KX HI (This bend is the highest and for my tall self works the best)

Posted October 24, 2006 - 05:55 AM

The adapters will work fine for you (about $35) and will raise the bar another 3/4". That is good if you are around 6' or more. I also have the CR hi bend with adapters and it's almost perfect for my height of 6'.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mojave Monster

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:27 AM

I have Applied triple clamp with 1-1/8" Renthal twinwall bars. Some mentioned adapters but I don't think you can "adapt" up in size and it would be crazy to try and drill out the stock bar clamps

Posted October 24, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I just took off my Scotts upper clamps and went with
a new under mount, to raise my bars. If interested
PM me. It's the piece that holds the damper and bars.

Posted October 24, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have Applied triple clamp with 1-1/8" Renthal twinwall bars. Some mentioned adapters but I don't think you can "adapt" up in size and it would be crazy to try and drill out the stock bar clamps

There is no drilling. The adapters bolt right into the existing handlebar clamp. The bottom fits the contour of the exising clamp. It's plenty sturdy. The bar will break before the clamp.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 24, 2006 - 03:18 PM

Check out they have an "affordable" top triple clamp from billet @ $125, also a nice fork brace @ $80 :mad:

• redmanrandyed

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:55 PM

I just installed the same setup on my 650R. The Tusk Big Bar Adapters http://www.rockymoun...70&navType=type
work very well. Stock cables work fine. I had to move my clutch perch in about an inch, but it is not too noticable.
My first ride with the Pro Tapers was Moab Utah. Slickrock, Porcupine Rim, Hells Revenge, etc. I was amazed at how much better these handlebars are compared to stock. I did not have any fatigue in the arms and the height allowed me to stand more comfortably while riding. Well worth the price!!!!!! :mad:

• DPW

Posted October 24, 2006 - 06:58 PM

• Bennito

Posted October 30, 2006 - 12:43 PM

n00b here with a newbie question. I just replaced my 7/8 bars with some 1 1/8th bars. I got a screaming deal on them, and realized after the fact that there was no foam pad. Where does this purchase fall on the line from nice to have to Required?

(I got cheap after the fact when my project went overbudget due to me forgetting about new grips, bark buster mounts and now the missing foam pad).

Now that I'm typing this out, I realize how stupid it sounds to risk your face for a 15$ pad.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.