IMS 3.2 or Clarke 4.3?

14 replies to this topic
  • drop

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:06 PM

I can't decide between these too tanks. I like the stock looks of my bike but I only got 90km out of the stock tank on my last ride (most of which was 130 km/h plus). Does anyone have pics of these tanks in red color with the stock tank decals applied? Thanks.

• Miguel159

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I posted a relpy to you in Advrider. I think MaxPower (here on TT) has a red tank. Look at some of his pics and you'll get the idea.

• drop

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks. Will do.

• frankstr

Posted October 22, 2006 - 09:58 PM

I have the Clarke 4.3 in red and it matches great...fits great also..
Sorry, no pics of it ...Its not on the bike at this time...
Have had no experience with a IMS tank..
There will be others that will let you know......:mad:

• Iggy1

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:29 AM

I have the Clarke 4.3 red tank and it fits perfect. See pic on nsdsc.ca under gallery of members bikes, Iggy

• eastreich

Posted October 23, 2006 - 05:42 AM

I have been running the IMS 3.2 and my riding partner has the Clarke 4.3. The biggest difference between the two tanks (other than the obvious size) is the feel between the knees. The Clarke tank is noticably wider at the seat tank junction and also through the entire tank. If you wear knee braces or guards, you will notice the transition if you grip the bike hard with your knees. The IMS 3.2 is about as wide as the stock tank. It should be noted that Clarke made a running change in their 650R tank mold. The newer tanks are a little narrower than the older ones (my riding partner has had both) and hold the fuel lower on the left hand side of the tank. In fact is a little bit of a challenge to get to the choke with one of these on. I do not mind the Clarke tank when I am trail riding, but with a choice between the two, I will not race a 650R with the Clarke tank (too wide). I cannot comment on the red coloring of the tanks as we both run the translucent tanks, but from viewing other 650R's, the red tanks are a match to stock plastic.

• weskc35k

Posted October 23, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Dropski I like the IMS 3.2 in white it just says Baja to me,J.C. "not the biblical JC" says it is narrower than the stocker and i spose he might know.
You have used KPH where you at big guy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • squatpuke

Posted October 23, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Where is the best place to buy the Clarke?

• drop

Posted October 23, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Dropski I like the IMS 3.2 in white it just says Baja to me,J.C. "not the biblical JC" says it is narrower than the stocker and i spose he might know.
You have used KPH where you at big guy.

Northern Ontario. If Johnny likes it then it's good enough for me.

• weskc35k

Posted October 23, 2006 - 04:28 PM

So Canada is metric crazy,i thought you'd be imperial.
I work with CAT dozers and J.D. ag stuff and imperial bolts and nuts suck badly.
Anyhoo i would buy an IMS 3.2 in the white but by the time it gets here to Australia it costs like 700 bucks,way too rich for my blood.
The IMS looks trick i reckon.
Just my .2 drachma.

• akuleboat

Posted October 23, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Going from the stock to my 3.2 IMS was easy. They dont feel that much different. I rode my buddies BRP with IMS 4.6 and it was really wide. I havent tried the Clarke.

• tXRheel

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I just installed a Clarke 4.2 gallon on my XR250 (different bike, but tank is similar). I'm very happy with the product.
The best way to order is direct from Clarke. I ordered through their website and it was here in no time. Installation was easy, fitment was spot-on. I did shim it up a tad in the rear so that the alighment with the seat and plastics was clean.
Once mounted the tank is solid. I realize that the 650 is slightly different... but the width at the knees on the 250 tank is similar to stock. It doesn't get wider until in front of the knee.
Make sure you clean-out the tank before installation. Mine appeared to be very clean out of the box, but I still managed to rinse and blow-out some plastic shavings.
I'm very happy with Clarke. If only all aftermarket components went on as easy and fit as good.

• Troy_Bell

Posted October 23, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I had the Clarke on my 2001 XR650R. It bolted up perfectly and the color match was exact. I really liked the way it looked too. Here are a few picks of it over the years.

Attached Thumbnails

• bike1.jpg
  • bike2.jpg
  • bike3.jpg

• rmhrc630

Posted October 23, 2006 - 11:49 PM

So Canada is metric crazy,i thought you'd be imperial.
I work with CAT dozers and J.D. ag stuff and imperial bolts and nuts suck badly.
Anyhoo i would buy an IMS 3.2 in the white but by the time it gets here to Australia it costs like 700 bucks,way too rich for my blood.
The IMS looks trick i reckon.
Just my .2 drachma.

The IMS are cheap when shipped to Australia - I've done both an XR600 and CRF450R tank and delivered they were $400. I think one was $360.

IMS or Baja designs are the ones to call in California.

• weskc35k

Posted October 24, 2006 - 12:52 AM

Did you pay import duty RMhrc.
Did it go door to door,cause if it do at that price i'm in matey.
I PMed you as i need info.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.