Difficult to start if stalls

3 replies to this topic
  • letter

Posted October 22, 2006 - 04:55 PM

I have an '04. My bike starts on about the 4th or 5th kick when first started cold. For some reason, if it stalls when it is warming up after I started for the first time during the day, it is very difficult to restart. But then, when I finally get it restarted and warmed up, after that it runs and starts fine for the remainder of the day. Does anyone know what causes it to be so difficult to restart when it dies when it is warming up after being started the first time?

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Your carb needs to be cleaned and adjusted for starters. remove the hotstart and clean it and the carb bore. Then lightly grease it and reinstall. Also clean all the jets, adjust the jets as needed for your riding area, adjust the fuel screw.

after that adjust the freeplay in the hotstart cable.

check the valves to make sure you dont have any tight valves. reshim as needed.
finally install a new spark plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2006 - 06:44 PM

You should be able to start the bike in no more than two kicks, dead cold. Try it this way:

Gas on, choke on, twist the throttle half way or so 3 times, push the kick starter through to the next compression stroke once, return the starter to the top, hold the throttle just barely off idle, and kick it. Mine starts like that in one kick 95% of the time.

Once it's hot, the bike should start well with the throttle left at idle if the bike was shut off normally and has stood for a couple minutes. If stalled. or you are restarting immediately after shutting down, pull the hot start and kick with the throttle at idle.

But, the trouble you're having is when the engine is niether hot nor cold, but in between. Try one of two things when that happens; use the choke if it died soon after it was cold started, or one quick twist of throttle if it was a little warmer, but not yet hot.

Experiment a little, and pay attention to what works when. The bike will consistantly respond to the same things under similar circumstances. Also, learn to adjust your idle fuel screw. It makes a big difference in how well they start.

• letter

Posted October 22, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.